Chapter 11 - The Bracket

That's what Kaito looks like!

"After the side games are over, the 16 students on the top four teams will be duking it out one-on-one in a tournament-style fighting competition!" Present Mic explained.

"I promise you're not gonna want to miss these epic match-ups!" Present Mic cheered, making people want to stay and watch more.

You smiled at your feet, happy that you had made it to finals. Every year, you watched, or tried to watch, the games for the first and third years, and every year you felt more and more excited about your dreams of becoming a hero.

You sat on the old, creaky, brown sofa that was settled in your living room. Your mom and dad were out all night, so they were currently in their rooms sleeping. They had smelt like alcohol when they came home, but that wasn't much of a change.

You had been so pumped for the Sports Festival, it was hard for even your parents to get you down.

Your eyes sparkled as you watched the first years fight against one another in the finals. You were specifically excited for three students that people had been talking about for a while. Mirio, Neijre, and Tamaki.

While some didn't like them for their more unique personalities, just watching them now, you already felt so much admiration towards them.

"(Y/N)! IS THAT THE F*CKING TV?!" your dad angrily shouted to you from his room. You could hear the loud sound of his feet pounding against the door as he walked over to the living room.

You panicked, quickly turning off the tv and shooting off the couch, but it was too late, your dad had already saw.

"D-Dad, I—," you mumbled. You hands and knees were shaking as you avoided eye contact with him.

"SHUT THE F*CK UP!" your dad roared, his large claws exiting the tips of fingers and toes. He slashed the tv, completely breaking it, then turned to you.

"You f*cking wh*re, why can't you just go out and get a job?" your dad growled.

"Y-You said I couldn't leave the house for anything besides school," you mumbled, your eyes stinging from tears that threatened to leave your eyes.

You cried out as your dad swung his claws at you. You blocked his claws with your own, but this only made him more angry.

You cried, making it harder to defend yourself. Your dad managed to slice your legs and arms before grabbing you by the shirt collar.

"Honey, can you open the basement door for me?" your dad sweetly asked your mother.

"N-No, PLEASE!" you begged. Your dad was only able to pick you up because you were just in there. He'd lock you in the basement for days. You were lucky that they kept water bottles down there.

Your mom opened the door, smiling sweetly at you. It was a genuine sweet smile, but not a comforting one. She was happy. Her only daughter's arms were cut up and bleeding quite heavily, her husband being the one at fault.

Your father tossed you forward, quickly shutting the door afterwards. You hit your head and back on the stairs, but somehow managed to not impact too hard.

You rolled down the stairs, crying in pain. Your back slammed against the wall once you reached the bottom of the stairs.

You winced at the painful memory, feeling your back ache at just the thought of it.

'It's okay. I'm safe now.'

You took a deep breath, composing yourself before looking at Midnight, who held a yellow box with "Lots" written on it in black.