2

I walk in class waving at the teacher and taking my seat. I remove my headphones and placed my phone back in my bag.

As soon as Mr. John was about to close the door my best friend Iyan came running through.

"I'm so sorry Mr. John, I was running late." She said as she panted.

"I can see that Iyan go grab a seat." He says.

Iyan makes her way to me and stumbles over the desk.

"Damn girl, what got you all rushed up?" I laughed.

"We came in late last night and I barely slept." She rest her head on the desk.

"It's obvious." I say as I notice her dark circles and makeup less face.

"Where's your glasses?" I asked.

"I forgot them since I was in such a rush. Now I'm blind for a day."

"How bad can it be?"

"You look like a big blob of poop. That's how bad." I laughed and Mr. John began his lesson.

"Ugh, this makes me sick." She said as she glared at a couple infront of us holding hands.

"You say I look like a blob of poop but you can see that?"

"This may sound racist but every black person I see looks like a blob of poop." She whispers in my ear.

"Your lucky your black ass can get away with that." I laugh. Mr. John looks over at us making us go quiet. He turned around and continued writing on the board.

"My brother said he heard yelling from your house, what happened?" She whispers lower.

"Oh you know, same old Kim." I rolled my eyes.

"Of course. She so problematic these days, what's up with that?"

"Don't know. Ever since she turned 18 she's been like that."

"How the hell does age change you like that?" She laughs quietly.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. Its so weird talking to her too. It's either she tells me to tell ma or dad she's leaving or I tell her that they're calling her."

"Well do you think it's her boyfriend?"

"Most definitely. He really has a bad influence on her, it makes me worry." I look down.

"Don't worry Des, your sister is smart and she'll come around. She just needs time to get mature." She said.

" I hope so." I sigh.

"Anyways how was the party yesterday?"

"Are you teasing me for being at my little sister's birthday party." I said.

"No. Maybe. Yes I am." She tried to hold in her laugh.

"You know if you were home, you would've came."

"Yeah, but I wasn't so.."

The rest of the class we chatted and got a little work done.

...

After school

"Hey isn't that Kim?" Iyan adjusted her glasses. During lunch her brother gave it to her which was a nice thing to do.

I looked at the direction she was pointing to and saw Kim leaning against her boyfriend Tim while giggling as he kissed her neck.

"Surprised she's even here. I almost thought she dropped out." Iyan said.