The Jump

[Cole]

Kim and I were at the top of the mountain, crying on each other's shoulders, all these years since mom's death I have been carrying the heavy weight upon my heart, the idea that she was alone in the last months of her life, made me feel ashamed and guilty. I resent my father, so much...

But, now listening from Kim all that happens, I feel as if this heavyweight has been lifted out of me. I still sad was not me there with her, but at least now I know she was not alone, Kim was there with her.

As we cry together, I felt a closure about my unresolved situation with Kim, she is very much the closest thing I would ever have to a sibling, a sister, she has my mom scent in her hair, and the way she tried to comfort me rubbing her finger on my hair is exactly like my mom, it is undeniable the fact that they were so close, to the point to resemble each other without the blood ties.

-"Kim, we owe that to Mom, let's be friends forever.  Siblings, I don't want to replace Pete, but let me be your brother?"

-"Forever is a very long time Cole! - If you are happy to take me as your sister, let me  tell you something, you have always been my big brother."

-"OK! Pinky finger, promise, siblings?" - I said to her showing my little finger...

-"It has been a long time since we have done a pinky finger promise...." - Kim said crossing her little finger with mine - "I promise, siblings!"

-"Have we ever done pinky fingers before?"

-"Of course... Many times! - Don't you remember?"

-"No..."
-"It feels to me you can only remember the bad moments between us, never the good ones."
-"Were there any good ones?" 

-"Yes... there were many good moments. - haven't you read you Mom dairies or seem her scrapbooks? - they are full of happy memories. I have many pictures of us she gave me, all 4  of us, together and having fun, we love each other so much, I am devastated you can't remember the good times." - she looks genuinely upset, and I felt bad, especially to find out Mom had registered all those memories, and I've never seemed them.

-"Do you know where they are, mom's diaries and scrapbooks?"

-"I guess would be in your family home, I don't think uncle Lou would have throw anything away, would him?"

-"I don't know, would you help me find them? - And maybe you could share your pictures with me."

-"Yes, I can do that. What time is it?" - she asked, but answer herself - "12 o'clock... Oh Fuck, I completely forgot! We need to go down, I need to be in the Medical school by 15:00." - she said, and suddenly become very agitated.

-"Do you do medicine?"

-"I am, or was, in my senior year, I just request the university a dispense for a year, and I have to meet with the head of the course and my supervisor professor to read my request this afternoon, and give me an answer... I am so nervous about..."

-"Why? What is the problem, why do you want to stop in your senior year? Don't you like what you are doing?"

-"It is complicated Cole... very complicated.  I love medicine, it is all I want to do since your Mom died, actually. Just... I am in a very bad place right now! I need to get away, at least for a year, until I sort my life out."

-"Is anything I can help you with?"

-"Not really! - At least not now."

-"OK, you will let me know when you need me, yes?

-"Yes" - She smiles -"Now, I really need to speed down and go back to the city."

-"Hey, do you trust me?"