11.

the slide

Soon, we find ourselves sitting on the jungle gym at the stop of the highest slide. It's silent, neither of us have spoken up yet.

We sip our beers as I stare up at the stars. I begin counting.

1, 2, 3... and so on. There are hundred of millions of stars in the universe. Each star is the sun if another solar system. Each star is providing life for other creatures out there.

"It's a beautiful night," Hyde interrupts my thoughts. I look over at him and watch as he bring the glass bottle up to his lips, then brings his head back, finishing the drink.

The bottle makes a tapping sound when it hits the rusted jungle gym as he sets it down.

"Yeah," I agree as the breeze blows my hair.

"You're more beautiful, though." I don't mean to laugh, but I can't help it.

"Is that the alcohol talking?" I ask sarcastically with a chuckle.

"No," Is all he says. I ignore his comment and look up at the stars.

"Aren't they so nice to look at?" I say, it comes out almost as a whisper. "I love to just sit here on nights like these and just look up and think." I say, not particularly to Steven.

"When Maxx was little, I would take him into the back yard when my parents would fight and we'd just look up a them," I ramble without a second thought.

I feel a tear slip from my eyes, but I quickly wipe it away with a sniffle.

I shake my head and smile, but because I'm happy or because something is funny. I just smile.

"Tell me about your parents," Hyde says, almost at a whisper.

"What about them? My mom was the most beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on. She made crowds go quiet when she walked in. She was the kindest, most bravest woman. And my dad, well he was so bad ass. He rode bikes and listened to rock and roll, he was so cool."

I spill my thoughts, not caring what he thinks or what he's going to say.

"I miss them everyday of my life, they were my world." I bite my lip, holding back tears.

I feel his arm wrap around me, pulling me in. I can tell this is new to him.

"Let's get you home, you should get some sleep." Hyde stands, grabbing my hand and helping me up.

"Down the slide?" He asks with a giggle and I laugh with him. I nod and we both sit back down, ready to go.

"On the count of three," He begins counting and when the word "three" leaves his lips, we're both gliding down the slide, laughing hysterically like little children.

"I won," He boasts once we reach the end, and we both stand.

"You definitely did not," I say back and he scoffs.

"Did too," He smirks as we make our way out the park.

"You're such a child," I chuckle and watch as a wide grin spreads across his face.

We make our ways back home and once we get back, we stop and he faces me.

"Goodnight, Lana," He says with a sweet smile.

"Goodnight Hyde," I smile back.

At the same time, we turn and I listen as our shoes scrape against the concrete.

"I definitely won, by the way!" Hyde shouts from behind me as I step into my lawn.

"Bite me!" I shout back with a giggle.

Then, it's completely silent and I wait until I hear his front door slam shut before I head inside.

I fall asleep very easily that night.