23.

forgive and forget

We drive. In silence. Not awkward, just...silence. I don't think either of us know's exactly what to say, and I don't know what to say without crying. Or screaming.

So we drive. And we drive until we run out of gas, again.

"I'll go in this time, give me the money," I say coldly.

"Lana don't act lik-" Hyde starts but I cut him off.

"Money," I hold my hand out and avoid his gaze.

He fishes the cash out of his pocket and it lands in my hand. I crawl out and shut the door.

I bend and look at Hyde through the rolled down window.

"Don't you dare leave this car," I say harshly.

"Lana don't talk to my like that," Hyde snaps.

"No! Don't tell my what to do," I snap back.

"Lana, I'll do what I want," He says.

"Stay in the fucking car," I yell.

I see something flash in his eyes and I stop myself. I stand straight and walk away.

I make my way to the entrance and peek back, eyes landing on Hyde still sitting in the car.

I calmly walk in and smile at the little old lady behind the counter. She smiles back and greets me kindly.

I hand her the cash and tell her the pump number. She smiles and I smile.

I turn and begin browsing the store. I head to the glasses rack and throw on some shades.

I slide them down my nose a bit and look out the window at Hyde. I roll my eyes and fold up the glasses, stuffing them in my jacket pocket.

I act like every thing is normal and walk out the entrance, and to the car. I pump the gas as quickly as possible then crawl back in the car, avoiding any contact with Hyde as he pulls out.

"Lana, talk to me," Hyde says.

"No," I cross my arms.

"Lana jus-"

"No."

"Come on."

"No." I pull the shades from my pocket and slide them on my face.

"Lana..." He trails off and looks over at me. I roll my eyes and look at him.

"Hyde." I say.

"Just hear me out, okay?"

I shrug but keep my eyes on him as he pulls into a parking lot of a McDonald's.

"Lana, I'm not going to try and make up an excuse. I'm not going to lie and say I had a reason because I don't. I don't know why I did it, or what came over me. It just...happened," His hands tighten on the steering wheel and his head falls.

"Well where the hell did you get the gun?"  is all I can ask.

"It was my mom's ex-boyfriend's," He says, looking up at me.

"Hyde, I just...I don't understand." I say.

"I wish I could help you understand."

"Hyde?" I sit back in my seat and look at him.

"Hm?"

"I wanna get my nose pierced." Is all I say, because I feel it's easier to forgive and to forget.