Coming Home

Heyo this exists bc I just wanted to write something nice. idk if I did that well, please offer suggestions if you think something abt this is wonky. The quality is probs a little less than it usually is but that's because I didn't care abt it while I was writing

oh well

Masao laid quietly in bed. He was almost sinking into the soft blankets and pillows under him, his hair tossed about his forehead and splayed across the pillow his head rests on. He blinks up at the ceiling. He's spent so much time looking at it he's almost memorized the patterns.

"Masao?" His mother softly calls, knocking on the door lightly.

The boy in question quickly reaches behind his ear, switching off the device and closing his eyes. "Yes, mom?"

"Are you just laying with your sights on? You know that could damage your eyes even more," she says, bumping the door open with her him.

Masao sat up, facing the direction on her voice. "No, it's been off..."

He could hear his mother sigh softly before a pressure joined him on the bed. Masao reached out but found nothing. "Who's this?" he questioned.

"Pochi," his mother responds, and Masao lowers his arm to rest on a tuft of soft fur. "Why don't you come down and have something to eat?"

"I'm not really hungry right now, but thank you," Masao responds, scratching the tuft of fur the rest of his family called a dog.

"Please?" His mother asks, in an attempt to get something out of him. "Your brother is home for the week, I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

"See me," Masao echoed, now only scratching the dog with one finger. "Help me down?" he asked, holding out a hand.

His mother took his hand, gently guiding him downstairs where he was met by several different voices. He smiled lightly, a small blush creeping to his face.

"I was told Yuma was home?" he questioned into the crowd.

He was met with several different voices of confirmation before he was dragged off by the edge of his sleeve. He stumbled a bit, letting out a bit of a distressed noise. "Uh, where are we going?" He asked, his voice wavering slightly.

"Out to the gardens!" a feminine voice replies, although she doesn't sound like she's facing him.

"Wait, Yua," Masao says, coming to a stop. "Let me hold your hand."

A soft hand grasps his, and not long after Masao could feel the calming warmth of the sun on his cheeks. They continued to walk, past the small pond they had, Masao noted, and down until the gravel path turned into assorted stones.

"I thought Yuma was home," Masao says, shifting his fingers against his sister's hand. "Why are we in the driveway?"

"You can tell we're in the driveway?" Yua questions, and bounced a little to face Masao.

"I recognize the pathway," Masao says, kicking his foot against a stone. "And I can still remember where things are."

"Right, yeah," Yua says, her voice not quite as high as before, and a little softer too. "Yuma told us he'd be coming home today. He isn't here yet, but I just wanted you to be the first to welcome him home, is all. We all know how much you miss him while he's gone on her work."

Masao smiles, raising his head up against the sun. His entire family had some sort of fondness towards the sun, but it might just be their quirks talking. Plants to need the sun to survive. But, Masao always felt better in the sun. Calmer.

"Ah! He's here!!" Yua cheers right before Masao hears a car approaching. He couldn't help but feel a little giddy along with her, squeezing her hand lightly and smiling.

A car door slammed shut and footsteps approached him before a gentle hand found its way to his shoulder. Masao released his gaze to the height he remembered his brother to be and smiled a little wider. He heard a little chuckle.

"A little higher there. I'm a bit taller than you remember."

Masao gave a sheepish smile, a little more of a blush burning his cheeks. "Sorry."

Yuma smiled, glancing to his younger sister and raising his eyebrows at her quickly before returning his gaze back to Masao. "It's alright. Nothing to worry about." There was a slight pause. "Did you come all the way out here to greet me?"

Masao quickly let go of Yua's hand as he throws his arms around Yuma's abdomen, burying his face in the familiar feeling of his family. "I really missed you," he spoke, feeling tears well up in his eyes a bit.

Yuma highed, placing a hand in Masao's hair. "I missed you guys too. Let's go inside and see everyone else now. I'm sure mom is wondering where we all are."

Masao nods, losing his grip slightly when he feels himself being hoisted up. He re-wraps his arms around his brother's neck, breathing in his scent. It may sound weird, but Masao thought it was nice.