Ransom Note (Chapter 15)

Blaez could smell the foreign scent again when he comes back from his shift. He walks into the room, gasping at the amount of blood around Jamil.

He opens up the medical kit he bought. Blaez tends to the wounds of the half-conscious prisoner. Who looks like he's seen better days, probably because he has.

I regret lashing out like that. It's my fault he's going to die from blood loss. Why did I do that? Am I really that terrible?

Blaez's hands shake as he looks at the blood. It's terrifying to him. He looks down at his shaky hands and sees Torak's blood on them. He's a kid again, holding his brother's dead bodies in his hands.

"Don't die!" Blaez begs. He shakes his head and continues to clean off the wounds. "Please, I'm begging you, don't die Torak! See? You see these bandages? They'll stop the bleeding, and you'll be okay. So just hang in there okay?"

Blaez starts to cry. He couldn't take it anymore. Blood. Blood everywhere. His hands shake violently as he messily wraps the bandage around Jamil's chest.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry..!" Blaez's shaking hands hover over the bandages. He slams his fists against Jamil's chest. "Torak, I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry," Jamil says, his eyes half-closed.

He thinks I'm his brother. He's experiencing it again because of my blood. The least I could do is comfort him, Jamil's feverish thoughts make him feel guilty.

"What could you be sorry for? What did you do wrong? Nothing! So why did you have to die?" Blaez sobs and Jamil could smell something strong from the breath. So the wolf is drunk. "Why did she kill you..? Someone as sweet as you..? Who was willing to give up everything for his little brother...?"

"I'm sorry Blaez," Jamil shuts his eyes. "I'm not your brother so I can't speak for him. And I think I'm going to fall asleep. But the good ones always die sooner...Allah calls them to come first so that they don't suffer here anymore...we've all got good in us..." Sleep threatens to take over him.

Blaez continues to cry. He suddenly wraps his arms around Jamil, pulling him in a tight embrace.

Morning eventually comes. Blaez waking up in the position of hugging Jamil. He almost lets go but feels Jamil's head on his shoulder.

I'm insane aren't I? What am I doing hugging him? Blaez suddenly remembers his crazy act last night. Great. I'm terrible. Love that.

Now when is he gonna wake up? I don't have to wait for him, I could just move...but that's not-who cares? He's your prisoner!

Blaez patiently waits. He closes his eyes and leans against Jamil's shoulder. It's rather comfy.

Jamil starts mumbling. So Blaez figures that he's still woozy from being sick and losing blood.

"Owen...Owen, I'm gonna graduate soon!" Jamil mumbles in his sleep. "Then I'll be a doctor. Then I can take us places!"

Blaez gulps. The lines all too familiar to him. Or rather, much too similar for him. He continues to listen, having nothing better to do.

"We can eat ice cream...and read books...and do everything we want to..!" Jamil continues. "Xian seemed so down...don't be sad Xian...we have to tell Kiara and Yi Min and Kimora the good news..!"

What am I doing? It's the only way to make me feel better. But is it really right? Yes, I have to kill him in front of his brother.

"Amy," Jamil mumbles.

Blaez's attention snaps completely to Jamil. That name is familiar to him and he's really curious to hear what Jamil has to say.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to ignore you," Jamil snuggles closer to Blaez, who's cheeks turn a brighter red shade. "I hope you're not mad..! I really love hanging out together..."