White Fire (Chapter 27)

"Did we seriously get separated?" Brenton looks around on his tippy-toes for their friends. "I can't see anyone! What if they get into trouble?"

"Oh please, if anyone's going to get into trouble, it's gonna be us," Urana crosses her arms. "C'mon, we may as well sightsee. We can catch up with everyone later."

"True," Brenton shrugs and walks alongside Urana. "I hope at least Sasha or Owen is with Ava and Alex because I really don't want to know what happens when they're left alone..."

"Oh, you're right," Urana bites her lip. "They could probably end up in more trouble than us. But they've got more sense than you so I'm not worried."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Brenton cries out. "Huh? Urana!!?"

"You know, I think I understand why Sasha likes using you as an armrest," Urana rests her elbow on Brenton's shoulder. "It's pretty comfy."

"Hump!" Brenton crosses his arms and pouts. "I should just go home now."

"No no! We gotta check out the city!" Urana stops Brenton by putting her arm out. "C'mon, we don't really spend time as twins. Besides, I think it would be nice to just talk."

"Alright, if it makes you feel happy," Brenton turns on his heel again and walks forward with Urana. "Oh! You can see the floating Elverian government building from here!"

"Oh yeah! You can!" Urana's eyes widen when she sees it off in the distance. "Wow, it's pretty high up if we can see it from the outskirts of the city."

"Right?" Brenton grins. "This planet is really something else! I bet mom and dad would've taken us around if they were here."

"Yeah," Urana smiles softly. "Mom and dad...I get why Sensei never talked about them until now."

"Me too. I couldn't imagine dealing with my close friends going off on a mission and then suddenly disappearing," Brenton puts his arms behind his head.

"Do you think we'll ever get to see them in real life?"

"Maybe not...but I want to hope that we will someday. You deserve parents that love you for who you are, magic and everything."

"Hey, you deserve parents too. It wasn't fair how they were taken away from you."

Brenton's lip twitches into a sad smile. He looks down at the ground as they walk, completely silent.

"Sorry," Urana mumbles. "I feel how much it hurt to hear that."

"It's okay," Brenton smiles. "Carol and Tyler will always be my adoptive parents, and even though it's unfair, I'm still glad that I at least got the chance to be called their son."

"Brenton!" Urana hugs her vertically shorter brother. "That was so sad!"

"Sorry!" Brenton laughs. "Besides, it's the truth. Doesn't Owen say that we should always tell the truth?"

"Yeah, he does," Urana's eyes narrow. "That genius better be okay. He's probably really worried...did you see his hands? They wouldn't stop shaking..."

"They haven't stopped," Brenton looks down at his own hands. "We can't make him feel better either. And we can't go and rescue Jamil either...I don't understand how to make him feel better."

"I want to give him a hug but I know that would just make things worse," Urana tightens her fists. "Ugh! It was never this hard before! Why it is all of a sudden so hard?!"

Brenton couldn't help but let out a laugh. He could feel exactly what Urana means and what her heart wants. It's absolutely hilarious.

"Stop laughing at me!" Urana cries out, a bright blush on her face. "You know exactly what I mean so stop! It's embarrassing!"