13: Sing Freely

Note: okay guys so I wrote ch 13 up until the ending (ch16) but I spent a lot of time and considerations on the last few chapters and feel they are not good (dramatic) enough plus it seems like a rushed plot.
So this story will likely be longer than planned as I've decided to change the plot. With this new plot there won't be part 2 but this way I can ensure that the quality is maintained till the end. This way, the characters will develop more too.
Thank you for all your support always. I wouldn't be able to keep writing if it wasn't for you lovely people. I hope I can keep entertaining you all with my work~!
Kenar
————————————————————————

-Riku's Place-

Sing freely.

The words Gaku said to Kujou Riku kept repeating in Riku's head over and over again.

Free... huh?

I wonder if I actually yearn for freedom. I am fine the way I am now. I don't really feel anything anyway, so why would I care about being free.

But then Riku felt conflicted when he thought about that day when he appeared at 'Kimi to IDOLiSH6 Night' show. He wished he could do something like that, just hold a show and talk about himself, connect with the fans by not using the image his father created. He wished he could stop having to be cold to other idols and instead become friends with them.

Even if I were free, it's not like I would know what to do.

Riku broke another glass by throwing it full force against the wall out of sudden and uncontrollable frustration. Ah..not again... and Iori already taught me how to cope with my intense emotions too. Riku went to grab his dustpan from the kitchen to clean up the broken glass pieces. He saw his own reflection in one of the big pieces and paused.

Should I talk to father before I end up like these broken shards?

After cleaning up the mess, Riku grabbed his phone, went into his room and shut the door. He knew his father was in Japan, but the man had already gone back overseas without visiting him. He thought a bit about Iori. I haven't talked to him since I got an acting role in Nemesis. I6 has been busy preparing for JIMA. I am also preparing for BLACK or WHITE which I got a direct invitation. Riku shook his head, waking himself up from his own thoughts. Right now, I only need to talk to father. Riku took a deep breath before dialling Takamasa's number.

After two beeps, the man answered. "Hello, my son. It is not very often that you call me, hm?" Riku could imagine his father's smirk right at that moment.

"Father, tell me. I-" Riku was cut off by Kujou.

"I take it this is about your parents, hmm?"

Riku's whole body shook. The waves of mixed and intense emotions were starting to hit him again. Breathe in and out slowly, Kujou-san. Riku recalled Iori's comforting words and followed the technique he taught. Then he grabbed a stress ball, repeatedly squeezing and releasing it to help him cope. It seemed Kujou went silent to give Riku the time he needed.

"How did you know?" Riku finally spoke after calming himself down.

"Boy, I know what you did to TRIGGER's Nanase Tenn and there is only one reason why." Kujou was probably twirling his hair and sitting comfortably in a chair. Riku went completely silent. He thought he was ready to confront the man when in reality, he did not know what to say.

Instead, Takamasa continued. "So now you know the truth, Riku." Riku could hear the sound of the creaking chair from the other end.

"But do you think you can defy me?" Kujou spoke his last sentence before hanging up, leaving Riku in the cold. The boy was fighting for breath as his stress triggered his attack. He took a puff from his inhaler and then threw himself on his bed, letting tears run down his cheeks without really feeling sad. Riku curled up into a ball. A part of him wished he had never called his father.