Chapter 10

Santana’s POV

Brittany’s words hit me like a cold winter air in a summer day. Every syllable making a remarkable exemption inside my brain, like every letter were searing straight to something deeper that I couldn’t even identify. Hearing her voice an octave higher made my blood vessels tremble with guilt and fear at the same time, it was unbelievably distracting and unusual. The roaring of an animal inside my chest got even louder when I realised that she once again disappeared on one of the glass door.

My eyelids began drifting downwards just when I realized I was standing in the middle of the road, random people giving me weird looks in the process. A deep breath calmed my throbbing chest for a second before I found myself making my way out the coffee shop with my suitcase hanging on my side, holding a cup of coffee on the other. When I managed to enter the coffee shop, I tried my best to keep my eyes on the ground even it kinda hurts knowing that Brittany choses Miranda over me, I’m her wife for Christ sake. And for a moment I was about to forget that this was just a deal, and I just can’t. When I finally held my things securely wrapped around my body, I can feel the unfamiliar atmosphere clouding the four corners, and I really don’t trust my senses when I was finally by the door, the handle seemed to be a lot colder around my fingers as the thought of what if ever I turned my head ; what could be the possible view my eyes could landed on, the other part of my brain was urging me to see that laps of ocean reflecting the perfect colour of summer sky watching me leave and yet the other half won.

I didn’t even look at her when I walked out the door.

 Two more turns and I’m finally home, there’s the soft melody playing inside the cab filling my ears and this time I didn’t fight the closing of my eyes, the scenarios of what happened this past few weeks constantly playing inside my head, with just one blink of an eye – I’m married.

Seemingly out of nowhere my phone buzzed inside my pocket, tracing me out of my daze. My fingers were practically trembling when I held my phone and the capitalized MOM appeared in green bold letters.

Can’t wait to see you and Britt.

“Fuck.” I all but sigh, the cab driver even gave me a confused look just in time the vehicle took another left, I can almost see the roof our house giving that familiar lump in my throat.

Brittany’s POV

“Bye!” I waved one last time before Miranda completely disappeared inside the taxi cab.

Miranda was my ex-girlfriend. Silly is that she’s still my best friend and no other thing would change that, the moment I broke up with her, there’s one thing I promised her and that’s the plan of being the best friend of them all. But when my parents died, she was too broken seeing me ride the plans of life.

All this time, I thought that walking away from this play will make everything okay, I was incredibly wrong.  Miranda held my hand when I emerged from the door and sat beside me, I was in a complete rage when Santana appeared out of nowhere and just talked like that. Like whom the hell she thinks she is?

I found myself just staring at Miranda when she told me that she still loves me and that she misses me so bad. And if it wasn’t the fact that she knows that I’m married then she would’ve done everything to get me back. There’s my confession hanging on the tip of my tongue, I could actually tell her that there’s nothing she have to worry about, Santana’s not my wife, well technically she is but… things are just highly complicated. And I really don’t want her to expect anything from me, I don’t want her thinking that I still have this mad feelings for her.

I can hear the soft scratching of my sneakers against the cemented ground along with the honking of trucks from afar, my hands jammed so deeply into the back pockets of my skinny jeans and my breath coming out in a steady rhythm.  Just when I was about to take a left someone shoved me on the shoulder causing me to almost lose my balance.