Chapter 13

“What are you doing out here? It’s freezing, Britt.” Rachel asked, walking towards me.

It’s been 10 minutes since I went out the shop and I already got my fingers quivering inside my pocket. Seriously Santana? I’m fucking freezing out here.

“I’m waiting for Santana.  She’s picking me up.” I answered with a smile. Rachel’s lips were pressed into a thin line as she bobs her head up and down.

“I still can’t believe it, though. There’s a part of me telling that you’re just messing with us.” She says seriously, crossing her arms over her chest.

My gaze drop on the ground before taking a deep breath. I know for one that they’re my friends and yet this is my life and can’t they just be happy for me?  “Rach-“ I didn’t even manage to finish my words when the glass shattering honk of a car blared all throughout the place,  almost in unison our eyes landed on a __________ followed by the familiar figure walking out and like automatically I felt the breaking of sweat on the corner of my brows.

“Hey babe.” Here we go. “Did you like my shirt?” Santana smirked before pecking me on the corner of my lips igniting that little World War II between those dragonflies and butterflies inside my stomach.

And yes, I don’t think I’ll get used to this.

My mouth literally fell off when I managed to look at her shirt, and I know that Rachel’s too. “It’s….” I swallowed dryly, trying to look for the perfect word for the printed words, my free hand flying on the back of my neck as I look at her, Santana’s brows were wiggling, looking at me playfully. “It’s… really trendy?”

“See that?” she grinned before letting her hands ran down her stomach, flattening the printed words. “I. Love. My. Wife. Isn’t that so sweet? Don’t worry I got you too.” she said with cheery voice and I can see on the corner of my eyes that Rachel is pulling a grimace.

“Oh, hey there Brittany’s friend.” Santana smiled, offering her hand. 

“My name is Rachel.” Rachel muttered hesitantly, sending me a quick look before taking Santana’s hand.

“Oh. Like Rachel in the Bible?”

“I’m Jewish.”

“Right.” Santana’s eyes drifted on my direction before holding me by the arm. “So are you ready?”

“Where are we going?” I asked, my brows knitted in confusion. Because, first off, she was really nervous when she called me an hour ago and right now, judging the width of her grin was just… I don’t even know the perfect word. Absurd, will do, I guess?

“It’s a surprise. Let’s go.” She didn’t even let me respond when she already started pulling me towards her car. And I ended up mouthing a short ‘bye’ to Rachel just in time Santana started the engine.

“Where are we going? And what are these?” I asked as I try to adjust to squeeze myself in the passenger seat. “Are you trying to build your own 7/11?” I added blankly when my eyes landed on tons of bags of groceries, like seriously even the backseat was full, there was even some bags by the dashboard.

“Really funny, Brittany.” she frowned. “My mom called, she’s here. Remember the key she gave us?” She asked, looking at me for 2 seconds before returning her eyes on the road and I simply nodded. “She texted me an address telling that we should meet her there and we should bring the fucking key. Of course minus the cursing.” She sighs.

My lower lip jutted out. “What could that key be possibly for?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a chest?” She shrugged.

“A chest? With what, like diamonds inside it? Maybe a car?”

“It’s not a car, Brittany.” she shook her head.

“A motorcycle?”

“Why would my mom even give us a motorcycle? Maybe a yacht?” she sighs.

“And where are you, on the seaside?” I muttered sarcastically and she just rolled her eyes. “Seriously, these grocery bags are just distracting. Why do you have these?”

“When she called she was asking me if she could talk to you, so I told her that you’re inside the grocery and I was just waiting for you outside and she bought it, so, almost losing a tooth I flew on the nearest grocery shop and pick whatever my hands laid on. Okay?” she summed it all up before taking a right and I can see that we enter one of the prestigious villages in Boston, and yet I just shrugged it off.

“That explains it. You could have just told her that I was buying a tampon or something.”

Santana glares at me before checking her phone. She might have seen whatever she was looking for she took another left.

“And the shirt? Are you seriously going to wear that?” I asked, exasperatingly.

“Oh! Don’t worry babe, you have one too.” She grins and I just rolled my eyes. I don’t think I can wear such statement t-shirts and not to mention the words written.

For another 10 minutes, the whole car was swallowed by the thick air of silence as I let my eyes wander the place. It was more of like the typical villa you’d see, it was peaceful and really calming. Even the houses were impressive on the outside and being complemented by the small garden by the patio.

“I think this is it.” Santana’s voice brought me back to reality, more of like a little harder for I don’t think I could breathe.

It’s a 2 storey old classical yet modern house with 2 car garage, stunning lush green lawn and judging by the design of the courtyard there’s a swimming pool by the backyard and there’s the fancy gravel driveway with one of those double security gates remote activated and I think there’s a camera too.

“Wow.” Is all that I could muster when the car came into a halt. 

“C’mon. I can’t believe they’re doing this.” Santana mumbled beside me, unlatching the seatbelt and I did the same just in time a loud squeal echoed almost painfully inside my ear.

“Doing wh-“

“My dear daughters!” It was Yolanda cutting me off, wearing an orange sundress and an enormous sombrero and care to notice that amazing sunglasses, she’s sitting on one of the sun loungers by the pool. “I missed you guys so much! Brittany, you look amazing.” She added before hugging Santana and I.

“Mom, we saw each other like less than a week.” Santana cheered boringly, her hands blindly looking for mine when I finally stepped beside her, her fingers tangling with mine.

“Whatever, Mija.” Yolanda rolled her eyes with a grin playing along her lips. “So, did you guys like it?” She asked, her brows pulled up.

“Like what?” Santana asked tediously giving me a quick look.

“The lawnmower.” Hearing that, I wanted to burst out laughing and yet I don’t want Santana to blow fire.

“Try again, mom. Please.” Santana muttered lowly, shaking her head.

“The house, Santana.” By that Santana made a hissing noise and for the umpteenth time this day my mouth fell off.