Chapter 8: Friends

Y/n

Y/n woke up feeling numb. She had a dream about Roman fighting with his mind and Peter taking on the Vargulf.

This didn't sit well with Y/n. Her mind showing her the two of her first real friends getting hurt. The stress was getting to her but at least she still had Dylan there to cheer her up.

The teen got up out of bed and got ready for school. She went to the closet and picked out an outfit for the day.

She walks downstairs to see Dylan putting breakfast on the table. Y/n opened the fridge and poured herself some F/d. She moved back over to the table and sat down. 

A few moments later Dylan sat down with his root beer.

"Really, root beer this early?" Y/n took a bite of her food then sipped on her drink.

"Hey! It's root beer. The best drink in the world." He defended taking a sip. She just laughed and continued eating, at least that lifted her mood a little.

They finished breakfast and got in the car. 

At school

Dylan dropped her off and she went into school.

The whole school day went by quickly and before Y/n knew it she was opening the door to Dylan's car ready to go home. 

Something stopped her though. It was like a pull, she turned her head towards the busses and sees 3 boys beating the shit out of Peter. 

Without warning, Y/n dropped her bad and rushed over. Dylan immediately got out of the car to follow.

"Hey!" Y/n's yell made them turn around. 

When they did Dylan and Y/n started pulling them off of Peter.

"You better fucking walk away. Try some shit like this again and I will personally find you all to do a lot worse." Dylan threatened causing them to run away while Letha comforts Peter.

"You guys need a ride?" Y/n offered her hands and helped them up. 

Before they could answer Ms. Godfrey pulls up saying she will give them a ride. The siblings followed them back to Peter's house where Dylan finally met Lynda in person and they got Peter partially patched up. 

After some talking, the adults thought it would be best for Peter to stay with the Godfrey's.

Godfrey mansion

Y/n stayed with Peter, Letha, and Shelley to play a board game while Dylan went home. He said she could stay here with everyone to help if she needed to.

Now they were in the living room playing a game. Shelley and Y/n were on opposite ends of the couch that was in front of a table while Peter and Letha sat on the floor on the other side of the table.

"All right, this one's for Shelley. Which book begins, 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again?'" Letha asked Shelley. Peter scoffed.

"It's not a book." He said in disbelief.

"Yeah, it is." Letha and Y/n said.

"Rebecca," Shelley replied right after we told Peter off.

"How did you know that?" Letha said in shock.

"Jesus!" Peter said also in shock.

"I read." Shelley typed while smiling.

"Ha! Ha! Ha! That's my cousin." Letha said in praise.

"Woah. Go, Shelley." Y/n gave her a high five. 

Then Peter starts coughing.

"It hurts?" Shelley typed looking concerned.

"It's not so bad. Really, I'm fine." Peter tried to reassure her.

"Who else is hungry?" Letha changed the subject.

"Eh?" Peter asked, offering the raw meat he was holding up to his eye.

"Hmm, I was thinking of something more microwaveable," Letha said, declining his offer.

"All right. I'm on it." Peter said getting up.

"Thank you," Letha said.

"And no cheating. I know a schemer when I see one." Peter joked directing it towards Shelley and Y/n. Shelley laughed while Y/n just flipped him off with a smile. 

Then he was off into the kitchen. 

They played more until they got tired and decided to go to sleep.

As Y/n was laying in one of the guest bedrooms she stayed up thinking about her friends and the life she and her brother had built in this town.

The next morning

Y/n wake up to the sound of talking.

"Where were you?" She faintly heard Letha ask. Y/n get up to follow her voice.

"Doesn't matter," Peter replied as she got closer.

"If you were gonna run away would you tell me?" Letha asked when Y/n arrived at the doorway of Shelley's room.

"I'm not fast enough to outrun this. I need you to promise me something. I need you to promise me that you'll be home before sundown. I need you to promise me that you'll be home before dark and that someone is with you the whole night until the sun comes up." Peter says getting closer to her.

"What are you gonna do?" Letha asked in concern.

"I'm gonna kill it," Peter said.

"You know you're just a person, right? That's what we all are. We're all just people." Letha was trying to reason with him.

"An hour before sundown, under no circumstances do you leave the house! Under no circumstances do you let anyone in!" His order shocks Letha.

"Then what? The next time I see you, you're in jail? At your funeral? Do I even see you again after that?" Letha looked hopeless.

"I don't know," Peter said looking down.

"I think you're both fucking full of shit. Do you think I'm the one that needs protecting? Look at you. Look at him. What do you need to happen to make you realize this isn't some kind of game? This is life, Peter. I want to come with you." Letha walked closer to him.

"Either do as I say or I'll never see you again, you stupid little bitch!" Peter yelled, getting angry. 

Then there was a horn honking coming from outside.

"That must be my dad," Letha was really upset.

"Then you should probably go," Peter watched as she walked out and past Y/n looking like she was going to cry. Y/n felt bad.

"Fuck!" Peter raked his hands through his hair.

"What the fuck Peter," Y/n walked up to him and hit him upside the head.

"It was the only way to keep her safe." Peter looked down. Y/n crossed her arms and eyed him.

"Doesn't make you sound any less of a jackass."

Then the pair heard something move and it wasn't her or Peter.