Day 6 - Coffee Shop (Analogical)

Trigger warnings: Making out, police, swearing. 

~~~

Logan sat in a corner booth. He was reading by moonlight in a small coffee shop in the middle of the night. Why? The owners, Patton and Roman, had noticed stock was going missing overnight. Logan offered to stay up and find out what the problem was.

So, there he was. He was rather engulfed in The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, when a sound came from the back entrance. He put his bookmark in and set the book aside and listened to cautious footsteps edge closer. The kitchen door opened, and a figure edged out. They were hunched over, wearing baggy clothing, but stood up straight in shock when they saw Logan.

"Hello? Who are you?" Logan had planned ever since being asked to do this that he would hear them out, if it was a person.

They started backing away, trying to escape back into the kitchen. Logan grabbed their arm and pulled them into the light. A man who seemed to be around the same age as Logan stared up at him, eyes wide in alarm.

"I'm sorry, please don't call the police," he blurted.

"I haven't, so you better have a good reason why you're breaking into a coffee shop."

The man shrunk back. "There's kittens outside. They're strays. I didn't want them to go hungry and if I brought any food from my dorm, my roommate would be mad and this was the closest place-"

"Hold on, this is about cats?"

"Yeah..."Logan sighed and walked back towards his booth, gesturing for the man to follow. They sat down together and an uncomfortable silence settled on the room.

"Let's take this slower. My name is Logan. I work here. I won't call the police unless you give me reason to."

The man nodded along with what he was saying, still hesitant, but feeling a strange sense of trust towards this stranger.

"Okay... you can call me Virge."

"Verge? Like the verge of a cliff?"

Virge tilted his head and stared at Logan in confusion. "Sure..."

"Alright. You mentioned cats near here. Can you take me to see them?"

Virge stared down at the table. He'd found the cats due to them being dumped near one of his 'safe places'. Sure, it was weird to have one down a random alley, but who was he to explain his actions?

"Okay, but can I take some food to them?"

Logan nodded and gestured towards the counter, offering its contents for Virge to take. "Just don't take too much, I don't want Patton and Roman to be mad at me."

Virge, who had made his way behind the counter and was rifling through the shelves, shot his head up to look at Logan."You know Patton?"

"I don't think we're talking about the same person here."

Virge stood up. "Slightly smaller than me, really bubbly, dad friend?"

"Okay, maybe we are talking about the same person."

Virge chuckled and wandered through the kitchen doors. Logan walked after him over and watch Virge grab food from random shelves.

"So, who's Roman?"

"Patton's husband. They own this coffee shop together. As some would say, they are 'meant for each other'. At least, that is something Roman would say."

"Hold on, are we talking about Roman Prince?"

"Yes? They've known each other since school."

"Damn, Patton scored on that one. I didn't think he'd get the guts to ask him out."