Day 11 - Road Trip (Prinxiety)

Trigger Warnings: swearing, mention of police, mention of crying, mention of abusive situation (unspecified).

Surprise! It's angst!

~~~

They all sat in the car. It was dark outside, and the only light came from the downwards-facing headlights. They trundled along country roads, driving aimlessly. No one knew where they wanted to go, where they could go. So they travelled in between vast fields.

Roman sat in the driver's seat. His hands gripped the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white. He had been like that since they left. His eyes were trained on the road, barely blinking. He was rigid, even while turning the wheel.

Virgil sat in the passenger seat. His tears from earlier had left trails of eyeshadow down his cheeks. He stared out of the window, watching the ominous shapes fly past, trying to make out what some of them were. He rested his head in the palm of one hand, his elbow on the small ledge of the window. His other arm was wrapped around his middle. The car was warm, so it was mostly out of comfort. He occasionally glanced at Roman, but seeing his unchanged demeanour, he'd given up a while ago.

Logan sat in the back, behind Virgil. He, too, was staring out of the window. He had one hand resting in his lap, the other holding Patton's. Patton had reached for his hand after his hysterics had subsided. Logan was happy for the comfort, despite what he'd say if asked.

Patton was next to Logan and behind Roman. He was asleep. The crying had worn him out, the adrenaline passed. He'd somehow been the worst out of all of them, even Virgil. Everyone was trying to calm him down, but it was just stressing him out more. Eventually, Logan had sent Virgil and Roman away to calm each other down, and comforted Patton on his own. Patton calmed down surprisingly quickly from Logan's kind words. Patton had asked Logan to stay next to him while they sorted out this scenario.

"Roman?" Virgil said quietly, not wanting to disturb the silence.

Roman jumped, regardless, his strange trance broken. He stared at Virgil before returning his eyes to the road. Roman hummed, inviting Virgil to continue.

"What are we going to do now? We don't have anywhere to go and the car's gonna run out of petrol." Virgil's voice was timid, almost as if he was scared of Roman's reaction.

"I don't know. We can't go back there, they clearly want us gone. We can't go to Remy, Dee or Thomas. They wouldn't help at all. They'd freak out and call the police. We don't need those bastards trying to help."

Virgil cowered away from Roman's aggression. His words were true though. They didn't need the police involved. This was their mess to fix, and they intended on doing so. Just... not yet.

"Do you know where we're going, then?" Virgil placed his words carefully, not wanting to stress Roman out further.

Roman huffed regardless, and gripped the steering wheel tighter. "I figured we'd find somewhere to stop for the night and figure out what we're doing in the morning."

Virgil nodded, "yeah, okay."

The silence returned, both of them going back to their thoughts. Virgil had something bothering him though. It was an idea, a bad one, but an idea nonetheless. The more he pondered over it, the more he wanted to do it. It could go well, or terribly badly. So he did it.

He knew that if he didn't it would bug him for the rest of eternity. He didn't know if he'd ever find the confidence again. Heck, he wasn't confident now, but his heart was leading him in order to give his stressed brain a rest

With a quick glance around, seeing that both Logan and Patton were now asleep.

"Look, I'm anxious and scared and tired. This is a terrible idea but it'll annoy me if I don't do it." Virgil said, quietly. Roman glanced over at him, telling him that he was listening.

"This probably isn't the best time, but I want to tell you this. This could either go really well, and somewhat improve our lives right now, or it could go astronomically bad and worsen my life. I'm sorry if you-"

"You're rambling," Roman said with a forced chuckle, cutting Virgil off.

"Oh, sorry."

"Don't be, and don't stress yourself out further. Just tell me, I promise nothing bad with happen... in regards to the thing you're going to tell me."

Virgil took a deep breath. He could barely believe this was about to happen, but it needed to happen. The circumstances weren't ideal, but it was all he had to work with.

"I like you. Like, romantically."

Roman's breath hitched. Virgil watched Roman's eyes blow wide, unable to tear his gaze away.

"Well... that's unexpected."

"Oh, uh, you don't have to do anything, I just wanted to tell you..."

Roman was silent as he pulled into an overnight car park, stopping the car and climbing out. He gestured for Virgil to follow and walked around to his side of the car. Virgil got out and barely had time to register what was going on before Roman's lips were on his. Roman was clinging onto Virgil's hoodie like a lifeline. Virgil froze for a second but kissed back, wrapping his arms around Roman's neck and trying to pull him closer.

As much as Virgil would've liked it to last all night, he broke the kiss with a grin, pulling back to look Roman's eyes. He had a smile on his lips, but it quickly turned into a frown

"I'm sorry, I should have asked first."

"Don't worry, I wanted it. I assume you feel the same?"

Roman nodded, "as long as you agree to be my boyfriend?"

Virgil kissed Roman's cheek and took his hands. "Wouldn't dream of having it any other way. Can we sleep, though? I'm kinda tired, Virgil asked.

And that's how they ended up sleeping in the passenger seat together, Virgil situated between Roman's legs, back pressed to his chest. Roman's arms were wrapped around Virgil's waist, protecting him from anything to come. Virgil had opted to use Roman's shoulder as a pillow, not particularly comfy, but a calming warmth radiated from his boyfriend. However, both were woken up by the click of a phone.

"Oops."

"Lo! I told you to put it on silent."

"Apologies."

Virgil twisted around, almost brushing his nose on Logan's in his haste. He glared at him for a moment, before turning back around and snuggling into the crook of Roman's neck.

"Fuck off."

~~~

It's okay, I'm only six days behind. 

I might write a few short ones to catch up.