Day 28 - Wedding (Royality)

C.W. Strong language, weapons (bats and guns), apocalyptic setting, 

~~~

Roman adjusted his tie in the mirror. It was the nicest, cleanest one he could find. Still a horrible shade of muddy green, but a tie nonetheless. As he slicked back his hair, he couldn't help but let his mind wander to how Patton must look.

He'd insisted on wearing a dress. Roman loved seeing Patton in dresses but for their wedding? What if they needed to make an escape? You see, they lived in a time where weddings were illegal, and the law was very actively enforced by the government. Well, 'government'. It was more of a vigilante group.

They had agreed to meet in an abandoned warehouse far from their base. Hopefully, the group wouldn't find them there. Patton wanted the wedding to be as realistic as possible, so their friend, Virgil, was officiating it. They had also agreed to collect flowers for a spot of decoration.

They didn't have actual wedding rings, so they were just putting their engagement rings on again. They'd gotten engaged a few months before the apocalypse, but didn't get married in time. They hadn't had the time to get married for a few years after that, but now the time had come.

They were getting ready in separate public bathrooms near the venue. They decided to keep the tradition of not seeing each other until the ceremony as well.

Their other friend, Logan, was the ring bearer, Roman's best man, and was going to walk Patton down the aisle. He was also helping Virgil with the flowers.

Roman took a deep breath. He was nervous, admittedly. He just didn't want anything to go wrong. He loved Patton so much and would give anything for this day to be exactly how he wanted it.

Before his nerves could get to him too badly, he left the toilets and headed towards the warehouse. Inside, he found Virgil and Logan already there, and making the final adjustments.

"Hey," Roman said. It echoed around the room, carrying all the way to his friends.

"Hey Ro."

"Salutations.

Roman glanced around where they were standing. They had daisy flower crowns around their heads, and each had a dandelion somewhere on their person. Virgil had one sewn onto his hoodie where a lapel pin would go and Logan's was tucked into his tie knot.

"This is pretty good, guys. Considering what we have to work with, I'd call this a mighty fine wedding."

"How you doing, then? Any wedding day jitters? Regrets?" Virgil said with an evil smirk on their face.

"Nope, I think you'll find that I am perfectly fine," Roman lied. He shot Virgil a cocky smile and took his place by the makeshift wedding arch, which was a pvc pipe frame with daisy chains wrapped around it.

"Are you ready?" Logan asked, placing a hand on Roman's shoulder from behind.

Roman took a deep breath. This is what he wanted. He'd been waiting years for this.

"I'm ready."

Logan nodded and left to find Patton.

~~~

Patton fluffed his hair again. He took a deep breath and arranged the hairs just how he wanted them. He smiled at himself in the mirror. Today was the day. He was finally getting married. If only his parents were here to see it... Regardless, he was incredibly excited.

A couple of sharp knocks sounded on the door.

"Come in!"

Patton took one last look at himself before facing the door. Logan walked in and took a second to take in Patton's appearance. He seemed impressed... hopefully.