Day 9 - Stars (Logince)

Content warnings: electrocution, character death, angst, mention of injury.

~~~

"Your old tricks are tired, Deceit!" Roman shouted, rapidly flying towards the villain."

Oh? Is that right?" Deceit smirked, teasing Roman into a battle. Roman fell for it and pulled his fist back, ready to punch Deceit as he passed. Deceit easily dodged him, and watched him try to slow himself down. Roman whipped around, looking shocked.

"What? Hold on, I'm the hero, I'm supposed to win. This is supposed to come easy to me!" Roman cried, floating in midair still.

"Don't you think I get tired of being beaten up every time we meet? It's exhausting."

"Oh, like you care." Roman rolled his eyes. Now that Deceit was smarter, he knew he shouldn't react when being lured in.

"I do, actually. Do you think I like lying to my roommate about where I've been every night, not to mention the cuts and bruises!"

"I... never thought of that..."

"I never thought it was fair-" Deceit began to slowly drift towards Roman- "that you were the one with actual powers and I just had, what, willpower? Hope?"

Deceit chuckled and polished his fingernails on his shoulder. When he pulled his hand away, electricity began to crackle, and miniature lightning bolts danced over his palm and fingers. 

"All I've done now is level the playing field. Now, how would I get back at you for all of those nights I came home bleeding. All of the excuses. All of the lies."He smirked at Roman clicking his fingers. The bolts amplified and covered his whole hand in an electric glove, of sorts. 

"Ah, I know."

As he raised his hand to aim at Roman, a door slammed open on the roof of the building beneath them. A man ran out, looking dishevelled and staring straight up at them.

"Roman! What on earth are you doing?" he yelled.

"Logan, get away from here!" Roman shrieked, terrified that something would happen to him.

"Ooh, who's this? Roman, you didn't tell me you had friends." Deceit teased.

Roman's cheeks went red and he rubbed his arm. "He's my boyfriend." 

His head shot up, eyes wide in realisation. "Don't you dare touch him-" Roman warned, fire beginning to run down his arms. 

"Too late." With that, Deceit sent a powerful lightning bolt shooting towards Logan, too fast for him to dodge. He screamed in pain as it hit him. Deceit kept it going for a few seconds before subsiding it, exhausting all of his power. He slowly sank to the ground.

Logan collapsed, still screaming.

"LOGAN!" Roman screamed. He shot down to the building and landed next to him. He pulled him onto his lap, keeping a firm grip on his torso.

"Logan, I'm so sorry. Please, I never wanted you to get roped into this-" Roman started babbling away, tears streaming down his face. "-you didn't deserve this. I should have just let you stay as a hook up-"

"No," Logan choked out, interrupting Roman's desperate rant, "You have no idea how glad I am that you asked me out. When I developed feelings for you, I thought I would never be anything more. But then you asked me to be your boyfriend, and that continues to be the best day of my life thus far."

Roman chuckled sadly, "it wouldn't have been if this hadn't happened."

"What do you mean?"

Roman opened his mouth to reply, but all that came out was a sob and he clutched the fabric over Logan's chest. He pulled him closer and dampened the shirt with tears. Logan slowly lifted his arms and wrapped them around Roman's waist, his grip weak. He sniffed, trying to keep from joining Roman's despair, but his cheeks were already soaked with his own tears.