Day 26 - Remembering (Logince and Royality)

C.W. crying, mention of death,

This is a continuation of Stars because the prompt fit really well and I actually liked that story.

Welcome to another episode of I-don't-know-how-to-finish-this-but-I-need-to-get-it-out.

~~~

Five years. Five years and he's still not over it.

12:00 am. The anniversary of his death.

Roman couldn't sleep. He sat up in bed and looked to his side. There, Patton was lying sound asleep. His boyfriend. Patton thought it was serious but Roman couldn't care less. Patton was lovely, but he was still attached to Logan.

Logan. Roman slipped out of bed and crept over to the bathroom. Patton stirred but he dived into the ensuite before he could wake up.

Once safely inside, he let his emotions free. He cried on the bathroom floor, stifling his sobs with his fist. He couldn't help it. He was stuck in the past. Stuck with Logan.

Sure, Patton was lovely. They'd met at work and immediately clicked. Their eccentricness was electric, bouncing between each of them so quickly. Later on, Patton had asked him out. It hadn't been that long since they met- only a few months- but Roman said yes. He didn't have the heart to tell him that he was engaged to another man, because how was he supposed to explain that he was dead?

Now, three years into their relationship, his heart was still with his fiance. He just couldn't find the strength to let go.

He'd taken on a civilian lifestyle shortly after the incident. He stopped using his powers, never went out but always made sure he had his ring on. Sometimes he'd look down at the ring and remember, sometimes positively, sometimes negatively. He'd remember the nicknames.

~~~

"The next one along is Mebsuta." Logan pointed up at the sky with a small smile on his face.

"Okay, what does that mean?" Roman asked. He'd asked for every single star and Logan mostly had to say that there wasn't one.

Logan thought for a moment and a somewhat evil smile flashed across his face. "It means starlight, Dear."

Roman smiled and propped himself up on one elbow. "Can I call you that then? Mebsuta?"

A smirk made its way onto Logan's face. "If it would make you happy, then I would love that."

~~~

Roman accidentally let out a loud sob. He clamped his hand over his mouth, scared that he woke Patton. He heard him stirring next door and froze. He waited in the silence. He didn't want Patton to worry and he didn't know about Logan anyway. He certainly wasn't about to tell him.

After a few minutes, Roman let his mind wander back to its memories.

~~~

They were lying on the couch together. Roman had his head on Logan's chest, listening to his heartbeat. They had been watching a movie but it finished at least an hour ago. Now, they lay together in the dark, simply enjoying each others company.

"I love you, Mebsuta," Roman hummed, absentmindedly.

Logan's chest bounced with light laughter and Roman looked up at him, seeing a small smile on his lips. "What?"

Logan cleared his throat. "I never did tell you what 'Mebsuta' means, did I?"

"Yeah you did. When I first asked, you said it meant starlight." Roman was incredibly confused. Why was this always so amusing to Logan?

"I lied. You've been calling me 'outstretched paw' for a year."

Roman blinked up at Logan for a moment, barely believing it. He sat up and pulled his phone out. A quick Google search told him that Logan wasn't joking.

"I- Love, I didn't think you were the type to betray me!" Roman dramatically fell back against Logan's chest, back of his hand pressed to his forehead.

Logan chuckled and sat up, so Roman's head was in his head. He bent over and pressed a kiss to Roman's forehead. "Am I forgiven now?"

"Almost." Roman grabbed Logan's collar and pulled him down for a firm kiss on the lips.

~~~

A gentle knock on the door pulled Roman out of his daydream.

"Ro?" Patton called through the door, "are you okay? I heard crying."

Roman froze but after a moment realised it was foolish to pretend he wasn't there. He got up onto his knees and shuffled over to the door. He opened it a little bit, letting Patton know he could come in. Patton slipped inside, closing the door behind himself.

"Oh, Roman." He sat down next to his boyfriend and pulled him to his chest. After a moment, Roman started sobbing again, comforted by the contact. He cried long and hard, clutching Patton's night shirt. Patton rubbed soothing circles on his back, not pressing Roman for answers like he knew not to do.

"I miss him," Roman choked out, but felt Patton tense.

"Who, Roman?"

"It's- "

Logan

"...nothing."

~~~

Oof this is short.