Day 7 - Shadows (Royality and Moxiety)

Content warnings: making out (I need to stop),  implied smut, swearing.

~~~

Patton was chattering away to his friend, Roman, on his way home from work. They usually met up and walked together. Today was like no other, until they took a wrong turn down an alley. Patton's talking slowed down, and turned into muttering.

He was scared of the dark, and particularly shadows. He tried to be casual, but ended up walking a lot closer to Roman.

"Are you okay, Patton?" Roman asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Patton flinched away and coming to a stop, before realising it was just Roman.

"Yeah, I just don't really like shadows."

"Do not fear, Patton. I will protect you!" Roman threw an arm over Patton's shoulders, pulling him closer.

"Thank you, Roman."

Before they started walking again, Patton heard a whisper, almost like someone whispered his name.

"What?" He turned to Roman, asking him to repeat himself.

"I didn't say anything."

"You didn't whisper my name?"

Roman laughed and pulled Patton along.

"Come on, your fears are getting to you."

Patton glanced back. He thought he saw the silhouette of a person in the shadows, but it was too dark to tell.

"Okay..."

~~~

The following day, Patton returned to the alley to try and find out who whispered his name.

"Hello?" He called out, waiting to see if anyone replied.

He stood in the darkest part and, despite it being the middle of the day, it was pitch black.

"Hey," someone whispered.

Patton yelped and backed away, towards the entrance.

"Please don't go!"

"What on earth? What's happening?" Patton stopped reversing and stood with his hands raised in defence.

"Will you hear me out?"

"Yeah..." Patton's eyes searched the darkness, trying to spot the person who was talking to him.

"Alright."

The shadow appeared from the darkness, standing in the light against the wall. Patton glanced sideways at it, and felt his stomach drop.

"You're..."

"Yeah, I'm a shadow."

"How does that even work?"

"I'm not really sure? I have a physical form, but it's hard to keep up for a long time. Plus, being a shadow is just more comfortable."

"That's actually... really cool." Patton relaxed, assuming the shadow wouldn't hurt him.

"Heh, thanks. It's not really."

"Can I sit next to you?" Patton asked, edging forward.

"Sure." The shadow sat down, and gestured for Patton to sit next to him.

Patton walked over to the wall and sank down next to the shadow.

After a moment of silence, Patton spoke up. "Do you have a name?"