Chapter 3

"Dad, dad wake up. Someone's here." I shake my dad until he wakes up.

"Henley what's wrong." He answered me groggily.

"There's a bunch of cars coming down the drive way dad. Something's going on Max saw this strange stuff on tv and I'm pretty sure I heard people screaming when I was looking out the window." Gabby takes a deep breathe and it reminds me that she's still here. Watching my dad jump out of bed he scrambles for something in his closet. When he turns around and stalks past me I see him holding a gun.

"Dad is that a shotgun?" I ask him not knowing that we even owned a gun let a lone a shotgun. When I was little my grandpa took me out and taught me how to shot these little clay disks with what I think was a hand gun but he always stood behind me and helped me. I haven't seen or shot a gun since my grandpa died almost twelve years ago. Seeing my dad go to the downstairs door with the gun in his hand looks so foreign to me but he's holding it like he does this every day. "Dad what is going on, I feel like your not telling me something. And since when do we own a gun!" He reaches to open the door but I slam myself to it and shut it hard. He's not opening this door without giving me answers first

"Stop ignoring me and talk to me before you even think about opening this door!" I holler at him almost wishing to take it back because I have never raised my voice at my parents or anyone ever.

"Henley there is a lot we need to talk about but right now we need to deal with whatever is coming up our driveway, I love you and I need to protect what's mine so please step aside." I look at him feeling like I don't even know this man standing in front of me. I realize I'm breathing hard and my checks are on fire, if I was to look at myself right now I'm sure they would be bright red. What does he have to talk about? Does he know what's going on? Our family has never been one to keep secrets.

"Henley just move out of the way." I look up as Max comes walking down the stairs but I don't budge. He grabs my arm and pulls me into his chest. "We have to trust dad right now and stick together I'm sure he will explain everything when he can." My dad opens the door behind me and Max must feel me tense because he squeezes me closer. It shouldn't be this way I need to be comforting my little brother, I'm suppose to be strong for him. Giving him a reassuring squeeze around the waist I take a deep breath and walk outside behind my dad.