Chapter 35

Carter

I'm still trying to take this all in. When I woke up I was laying in a hospital bed that was placed inside a glass cubical. Once I threw a tantrum someone finally came and spoke with me, reassuring that I was safe and I would be allowed out once I took a few medication's. I was reluctant at first but once I saw Max beside me agreeing with them I decided to do the same. Like they said once we swallowed a few pills they escorted us to check on Roger apparently that was something Max demanded and then we had been lead to a vehicle with a driver waiting for us.

We had been dropped off in the middle of a town and told to find a house. I was just as confused as Max looked but we both took a sigh of some relief and began walking. We walked around aimlessly taking in the place. It just didn't seem real, almost like we walked into some kind of movie. Then I heard a squeal and by the time I went to ask Max what that was a familiar head of red hair slammed into him. Once I glanced back in the direction Gabby had came from I saw a familiar set of brown eyes lock with mine. Henley started towards me slowly then I began moving to her and she ended up sprinting until she was wrapped in my arms. It was the realest feeling I have had since I have gotten to this place.

Now I'm sitting on a couch in this amazingly large house that I'm still trying to take in. Something just seems off. Maybe its those pills they gave me. They did tell us it would make us a little light headed and cause some drowsiness but that it would go away eventually. I'm safe, we all are now safe but I can't help shake this little pit in my stomach that I keep feeling. The only thing that makes it go away is feeling Henley wiggle beside me as I pull her closer to me making sure she is still there.

"I'm going to make you guys something to eat. Anything special you feel like having?" Gabby asks as she moves from Max's lap.

"Ice cream!" Maddie says jumping up and down then she swings her gaze to look at Maria almost asking her for permission. Its nice being able to see her actual be a kid.

"Normally I would say no to ice cream before supper but I suppose this is a special occasion so I guess we can have dinner later." Maria answers her and the smile Maddie gets makes it hard to ever say no to her.

"Ice cream it is! Come help me Maddie, I don't have enough hands to carry all those bowels." Gabby says to her and they both disappear into the kitchen that soon fills with giggles.

When I hear Maria cough a little I look over at her. She has always been the older one in our little group but looking at her now she looks aged and a little sick. She shifts a little bit in her chair cause her to grab her ribs and cover her mouth to cough.

"Hey Maria are you feeling alright?" I ask her concerned.

"Just a little tired. When we got here I had some problem with the shot they gave us. I have gotten better gradually they have me taking some medication but I just can't seem to get over this cough. If you don't mind I think I'm going to go back home and lay down, just send Maddie over when shes done her ice." Once she has finished she sounds out of breathe. I nod and watch as she slowly lets herself out of the house.

"It might not look it but she has gotten better. She sees a doctor ever other day and of course Maddie keeps her going." Henley's sweet angelic voice speaks from beside me. God how I have missed her.

Turning my head so our eyes meet I tug her a little more closer to me resting my hand on the side of her thigh. Tracing small circles on her jeans I wish at this moment she was wearing those small shorts she wore this summer, I would love to feel her soft skin under my palm right at this moment. Crossing her arm over my waist she squeezes me some making me realize she needs to feel me as much as I need to her.