Chapter 10

Carter

I didn't know what to do. One minute her grip was so tight that my hand was numb, then the next she's just lying there so still almost like she's..

"She's dead do something!" I scream over her limp body to the old women eagerly working on her wound. Why is she not doing anything, why am I freaking out about this girl I barley know. But then I look down at her peaceful face and see small freckles scattered over her face. I get a strange ache in my chest.

"She's not dead, she's blacked out from the pain. It happens sometimes, her body just couldn't take it anymore. I'm almost done then we can get her up to bed and let her rest." She states reassuring me. Now I'm not sure what to do so I just stand there until she finishes.

Roger, Max and Eric come filing into the kitchen with fresh splattered blood on them. They all look at Henley laying on the table as the old women finishes the last stitch and cuts the string "I'm just going to cover this and then we will need to move her into bed, she needs rest to heal. I cleaned it up fairly good so I'm hoping she doesn't get an infection. But Roger we are going to need more supplies if something like this happens again I'm afraid we won't be able to fix them." He just looks at her unsure of what to say.

"How many?" I ask being curious about the crawlers.

"About 10. I'm thinking they where already around here but made their way once Henley started screaming. Your kids got a set of lungs in her Rog." Eric finishes and something inside me switches and before I know it I'm in his face with a fistful of his jacket.

"You don't even know what she went through! She has half of her side cut open but she still tried to fight those things off with no weapon just herself. Then I just had to watch her silently fight with herself and black out from pain probably so unbearable that you or I wouldn't be able to deal with it. Honestly she's the toughest person I know right now and when she wakes up if she wants to scream till she's blue in the face then I'm going to let her."

He pushes me away from him "and what about when those things come?"

"Then we will fight them all off." Roger says grabbing my shoulders and steers me outside. He thanks me for everything I just said but that he has it from here and that I should get some sleep. It is late I'm guessing close to mid night.

As I walk into the barn there are people scattered all over. When I walk into my stall the slutty blonde girl is sitting on the ground with that look on her face. She stands up walks towards me and starts to lift her shirt over her head. I don't oblige I really could use this right now. I need to get Henley and everything that just happened off my mind. Still not saying anything she starts to kiss my neck as she runs her Hands down my back. Yup this feels nice, I pull her closer to me by grabbing a hold of her hips. She gasps and finally says something "I'm Jessica." I don't give a fuck what her name is and her voice is annoying it's nothing like Henley's sweet sound she makes. Pushing her up against the wall I raise her arms above her head and start kissing her firm thin lips they're not the ones I want. Grabbing her long skinny legs she wraps them around me, I wish they were not so long. Letting out a soft moan as I kiss the top of her chest she brings her hand down and pulls on my hair. I run my hands up her sides feeling her rib cage and I cup her very tiny breasts. There is absolutely nothing about to this chick but skin and bones. Usually I'd be into her but I can't get the image of a curvier body out of my head.

"Fuck!" I say as I drop her to her feet and walk away.

"Where are you going ?" God her voice is awful.

"Just get the fuck out." I pick up her shirt and throw it at her. She turns and stomps out without another word. I have no clue what has gotten into me. I barley even know this girl but when she looked up at me biting her lip so desperately trying not to scream everything in my body wanted to take that pain away from her. I get that strange flutter in my stomach again as I lie down and think of Henley's smile.

I start to drift off to sleep I hear a faint scream in the distance but think nothing of it and then I hear it louder this time. I jump up "Henley."

Running into the house without even knocking I go straight to the sound of her screams. I burst through the door into what I assume is her room. She's laying in the middle of the bed holding her side.

"I don't know what's going on, she just started screaming and thrashing around in the best!" A skinny red head says beside her.

"Go get Roger." I walk over to her and place my hand on her she's sweating, burning up and has her eyes clamped shut.

"Henley I need you to open your eyes." The sound of my voice jumps her a little but she seems to relax some. I'm worried what if she's turning into one of those things, I need to see her eyes. Those things eyes have a strange white glaze over them almost like they are blind. She just needs to open her big brown eyes.

"Open your eyes please." I lean in closer to her face my heart is racing. "Please open your eyes." I say again to her. Then I hear her sweet little voice.

"It hurts so bad" Sitting back some I look down at her and she has her eyes open they have tears running from them but their hers.

"Their they are." I say and its something to unlike me. She moans and I remember she's in pain. Roger, Max and the red head come back into the room Maria follows shortly after them. I don't leave Henley's side as Maria checks her over and then says

"She has a fever. Her bodies trying to fight off the pain and I'm afraid she might have some kind of infection but I'm not sure about that. Roger we really need to get her some antibiotics and pain meds which we don't have either." Her and roger go stand in the hallway to talk.

"Where the closest pharmacy?" Asking Max and the red head

"About twenty minutes from here." The red head answers me and Max gives me a questionable look. Henley screams out in pain again I bend back down to her.

"I'm going to fix this, I'll be back in less then twenty." I wink at her as she stares back at me. Walking into the hallway Roger and Maria look at me. "Show me your weapons." Roger just stares at me.

"If you want your daughter to live you will show me your weapons now." He doesn't hesitate and walks me into another room. I see a machete right away and grab that. He starts to show me the guns but I find a bow n' arrow which I prefer more then a gun.

Once I'm on my bike I go to start it up but someone jumps on the back of it. Turning my head I see Max sitting there.

"She's my sister." Is all he needs to say and I speed off down the dirt road.