Chapter 10

Hiiiiii! Thanks for all the support! Continue to vote for this story and if you like what you're reading, follow me and you will be notified when I update a chapter–which is every monday night!

So for chapter 10 I decided to write from Tristen's point of view. Let me know in the comments if I should continue going back and forth, writing from Meredith and Tristen's point of view. I like this since I can get in the head of Tristen and learn about him as well.

Enjoy reading chapter trisTEN. Get it? Tristen and ten... ahh I'll just leave.

________________________________________________________
Tristen

Bubbles trailed from my sigh as I watched the human workers bustling around, cleaning our tank – the mer dome. I stiffen. A dark fay walked in the mer dome. Glamoured as an older indian man with a boney statue–strolled in with an energy that defy his age appearance. Immortality can do that. I read his name tag. Mr. Grey. I scoffed. How original.

My jaw tensed as he slowly walked around the dome with his hands behind his back. He watched the mers and raised a finger, tapping the air. I growled. That bastard was counting the mers.

The dark fay stopped before merwoman, Moa who was pregnant with a merbaby. Very pregnant. She was separated from her shi-amare, the father of the baby, stolen by the humans. Moa wearily watches the dark fay who studied her. Mr. Grey waved a young human worker over and said something to him. The human man nodded in what seem to be in agreement. I tensed. They walked away from Moa and she sighed in relief. Her dark gaze met mine. I jerked my head to the back. Hide. She nodded at my command and quickly swam to the back, behind the wall of corals.

Today was thursday, cleaning day. I wondered if Meredith still try to come today. Is she outside right now? I recoiled from the memory of her recoiling from my touch from our last visit. If she even comes back.

    A hand landed on my shoulder and I stood rigidly. "She'll come back."

    I turned to my guardian. "I hope so, Gale." My gut twisted from the memory of Meredith's face, etched in terror. I never want to see that again.

    "You didn't know she was afraid of the water." Gale consoled. "Plus, I know she'll come back."

"Why are you so sure?"

"I have something of hers. She will come back for it."

"What is it?"

"Oh..." Gale grinned. "Just her sketchpad."

"Gale." I warned.

He threw his hands up. "I'm not doing anything untowards to the sketchpad. It's safe." Gale smirked. "Do you want to take a peek? See what she has drawn?"

Curiosity almost made me say yes, but respect backed me down. "No. I won't disrespect her privacy." I glowered at Gale. "And neither should you."

Gale groaned. "Thalassa. You are so boring."

I rolled my eyes and gazed at the humans. I shook my head. "I should've noticed sooner, that she was afraid of the water." I ran a hand down my face in frustration and then paused with realization. "That's why she never sat near the opening, near the water." I groaned. "I'm so dense."

    Gale swam closer to me. He looked around us to see if anyone was eavesdropping before he stated in bafflement. "You really care about her."

    I paused, thinking. After six visits, Meredith managed to keep me wondering about her. "Yeah." More sure of my answer, I nodded. "I do." Without thinking, I swam to our meeting spot. This is where I was when I first saw her. "She's different, not what I thought humans to be." Her unruly curls caught my attention. I have never seen anything like it from the sea. When her eyes met mine, I felt a jolt of recognition. Hey, I know you. Although I am no closer to finding out if I have met her before than I was when I met her. "Or maybe it's just her."