Chapter 24

Hi Clovers, sorry it's late.

As always, thank you for your support by voting and commenting. I just realize we reached two hundred pages and I am not even halfway with the story. I'm probably going to finish with around six hundred pages. Yikes. Lol.

Enjoy~

_______________________________

Meredith

"Meredith Tesifa Pierce." The dark fay breathed my name. "Finally, we meet."

My heart thudded. He knew my name. He knew my middle name that my mother gave in honor of our ethiopian lineage; It meant hope in amharic.

He was tall–maybe even taller than me–he stood at about six feet or more. His muscular frame were adorned in a black tank, goth pants with chains across his belt loops and topped with a pair of black combat boots. He had rune like tattoos that covered both of his arms. This was the first time I was seeing him.

Something moved on the ground. I gasped as my heart thudded. The body of the dark fay gave one last shudder before distengerating to dark ashes. The clothes and shoes fell to the ground along with the long sword. The wind blew and the ashes disappeared into the dark woods. I blinked at the empty ground where a dark stain tainted the soil with an echo of death. Tears blurred my vision. I just watched someone died in front of me. With a swift of a blade and just like that–he was gone. Gone forever. I didn't even know this fay but his name–Ash. Ash was born, held by a mother, had a childhood, laughed with friends, fell in love and now... It's all gone. He was gone.

The dark fay that rid Ash was smiling at me that it seemed so nihilistic–wrong and out of place. The ground tilted under my feet and a ringing begun in my head. This can't be happening. This doesn't happen to people. People don't just witnessed someone get beheaded by an ax. They just don't. I stare at the disgruntled pile of clothes and the stain of blood, the only proof that an Ash had ever walked this earth.

I ran to a nearby bush and rid the content of my stomach, as if attempting to rid the slaughter I witnessed. I breathed heavily once finished; I felt empty and numb. I stood up and found that Bodhi had moved with me; still standing with her back to me, protecting from the dark fay, and not once letting her guard down. I whispered out loud, "'Where did he go?" I rubbed my arm, scrubbing death and chill from my skin.

The alive dark fay smirked, "Nowhere, he's dead." He hoisted his ax to rest the handle on his shoulder and cocked his hips with amusement. "Ah, I forget. You humans don't witness deaths often anymore. Now he can't kill you, Meredith Tesifa Pierce."

I jerked at my name, at the intimate way he lilted on the vowels of my name. Through my muddle confusion I managed to ask him, "Who are you and how do you know my name?" He kept saying my name as if he waited a long time to do so. My skin pricked at that. I don't like it; a killer saying my name.

Bodhi raised her daggers, "Speak or you'll join your brethren."

The dark fay chuckled as he dropped his ax to the ground and Bodhi stiffened. He leaned on the metal handle like how Willy Wonk would lean on his cane–without a care in the world. "That bastard is not my brethren."

"Don't lie, dark fay." Bodhi hissed.

He raised a brow but he stopped. He leaned toward Bodhi and took a deep inhale. "Ah... mer. I thought I smelled something fishy." He chuckled at his own joke.

"Answer, dark fay. Who are you?" Bodhi asked.

He tsked. "And a rude mer at that. Not one for pleasantries, huh?"