32.

The next day, I woke up early and accompanied Maria to the kitchen. Fortunately she assigned me with easy tasks like washing dishes and chopping the vegetables. It was a lot but we had quiet many people to help us. More than hundered people were staying in Valeria's estate. I wonder how many people came to live here.

"How do so many people live here?" I asked.

"Dona Valeria helps us here. She helps us seek employment and provide for our families." Maira said. "I was a single mother with two kids and no source of income. She helped me by giving me a source of employment so that I could provide for my kids. Now they're all in university." Maria said beaming proudly.

"Unlike greedy corporations who force our labour, she gives us good wages for working on her plantation farms." Another cook added.

After I'd finished washing the last batch of dishes, Maria led me to the plantation farms. As we passed by the garden, I saw Leo carefully trimming some plants. He was so engrossed he barely noticed me. I jogged to keep up with Maria. When we reached the entrance of the plantation farm, I saw a handsome man greet us. He was accompanied by Amy and Alex.

"Senorita Meg, meet Diego, the keeper of the plantation."

I smiled and shook hands with Diego. He was a guy in his fourties and he looked good. I noticed the way Maria looked at him. Clearly, she had it for this boy.

Alex and Amy greeted me. While we were catching up, Maria and Diego spoke in rapt Spanish about some plantains. They came back with a basket full of plantains. I helped her carry it in the kitchen.

"Forgive me for asking this... but you and Diego look very close." I asked, taking my chances.

"Oh, he's a sweetheart." She gushed. "We've been in love. I don't think I've ever loved someone as much as I've loved him."

Ugh this was so cute. The cupid in me wanted to do something for these two.

We sat down to peel the plantains when Maria told me her story with Diego. She and Diego worked together for years and he'd been a huge emotional support for her after her abusive marriage ended. Their friendship soon turned to love. And since then they've been having an affair. Maria gushed about how she'd love to spend the rest of her life with Diego.

"No offense but can't you two get married?"

The colour drained from her cheeks and Maria looked away wistfully.

"Oh dear. You don't know how things work here, do you? I'm a divorcee who has had an abortion. It's forbidden."

I realised that people over here were more religious. Divorce was a huge taboo and abortion on top of it was another issue. I'd managed many orthodox weddings and I knew how it got. Some grooms and their families even went as far to hire a private detective to know about the girl's sexual history.

Maria changed the topic but I couldn't get it out of my mind. It felt like I was from an another world and she was from a different one. I wish I could do something for her. then it struck me, I could plan her dream wedding.

#

A few days passed. I had been working during the day and at night, Emily and I caught up with our pending work. Leo and I despite sharing the same room barely got any time together. Usually, I arrived late only to find him asleep. And on days when he arrived early, I'd already slept. One night, as I was climbing to my room, I saw Valeria at the balcony staring at the night sky. There was a wistful and sad look on her face.

"Hey, lovely night, isn't it?" I asked, standing next to her, over looking the sky.

She shook her head and smiled bitterly. "It's beautiful and unfortunately nights like these remind me of Francesco. I miss him so much." She said, twirling a ring with 'Sofia and Frank' engraved on it. It must be her engagement ring.

"I'm sorry." I said, unable to say anything more. Normally Valeria looked so happy and busy doing so much. She was a strong woman and I'd have never guessed she had a weak side.

"It's illogical isn't it? To love someone so much that every time you think of your name, you can only think of it in his voice." She said.

I recalled the first time Leo called me Meghana and I think almost died, went to heaven and returned back to earth. It was basically the highlight of my week. So, I definately knew what Valeria meant.

"If it isn't a little crazy and illogical, is it really love?"

She chuckled. The wind blew her hair over face. I'd noticed that Valeria was pretty but from up close, I realised how sad her eyes looked. She had lost the love of her life. I can't imagine how that must've felt.

"It is that kind of thought that makes you take a bullet." She said.

I laughed. I've done some stupid things in my life but taking a bullet for Leo is something I'd gladly do all over again.

"You'd have done the same if you were in my place." I said.

"Maybe... but I don't think I'm that brave." She sighed. After discreetly wiping her tear she continued, "You know today is Frank's death anniversary? So don't mind Leo if he's a little distant. He might ignore you and stare at his watch. Excuse him for a day."

"Oh..." I think I realised why Leo and others had been a little distant and moody today. "But why would he stare at his watch?"

"It was Frank's. It was a parting gift to Leo. It's his way of keeping his brother close." Valeria said.

I felt a sinking feeling. This was so bad. I wish I could do something to make it better but there's little that could make a pain so huge go away.

Valeria glanced outside and saw Maria in garden walking besides Diego. A faint smile covered her face.

"Enough of this sadness." She said. "Tell me, what have you planned for Maria and Diego?"

I'd mentioned her that I wanted to give Maria and Diego a dream wedding.

"I was thinking of a homely and traditional Columbian style wedding." I said.

"That's perfect Meg." Valeria exclaimed. She said, "Maria has always dreamt of a nice wedding. She and Diego want to marry but Maria's daughters are opposed to it and people around here are conservative, they think its wrong for Maria to remarry. I've failed to change their mindsets. I'm glad you're here to give them their wedding. She's always had my back and I'd love to do something for her in return."

"I'll make the list and prepare for everything. Meanwhile, can you have a talk with both of them?" I asked.

"I'll be done." Valeria said.

Maria and Diego looked up and noticed us in the balcony. They waved us and we waved back at them. Waves of exhaustion rushed over me. And I realised how tired I'd been. I told Valeria I'd be off to sleep and went to my room.

When I entered my room, I saw Leo lying on the bed, reading a book. I saw his watch in his hands. When I entered the room, he raised his head and looked at me.

"Hey." He said softly.

I smiled back at him and he went on reading. After I'd changed up, I climbed in the bed and threw my arms around him. From the slight flush on his face, I knew he'd been taken off guard by me.

"You know if there's anything that you need you just have to tell me. I'll be right here for you." I said, nuzzling against his neck.

"Dolceza, you're everything I need." He said, stroking my hair. I noticed the lingering sadness beneath his eyes. I just hoped one day, he'd be comfortable enough to share his feelings with me.

I kissed his cheek. "Good night."

He cracked a genuine smile as I fell asleep.

#