Levi's First Flight

Levi’s First Flight

▐►►

            Warm. Today was a warm day. Eren wasn’t home right now because he left for work and Levi had nothing to do. It was a little past noon and he had just ate lunch. Levi had spent all morning cleaning the house again even though it really didn’t need to be cleaned. Now he found himself outside, laying in the warm sun near the –pond? Lake? –it was one of those. The grass that supported him was a vibrant green, the flowers seemed to be every shade of the rainbow and the water was a calming shade of blue-green. Several trees docked the backyard, birds flew about chirping to one another in their friendly language. Fish swam in their underwater homes, three rabbits hopped across the lawn and, if Levi as correct, there was several deer in the woods. Quite peaceful this place was and felt. It was wonderful.

            Sitting here, surrounded in all of this nature was relaxing. Levi liked how the clouds were white and fluffy while the sky itself contrasted with a beautiful blue. Every once in a while the blue sky would be pierced by the butterflies or birds and one of the other insects. The birds were what Levi watched the most. He watched them in general, closely, they way they flew, the way their wings moved. Levi recalled what Eren had said before ‘You can’t fly… If you never try…’ Stupid brat… raising my hopes up like that. But Levi truly did wonder. He wanted to believe that Eren was right. Maybe he could fly… If he did try. Stupid… Levi sighed, I’ll try, but if it doesn’t work out then at least he can’t pester me anymore. For Levi, that reason alone was a small percentage of why he really wanted to fly. There were two big reasons, one –he wanted to fly. Plain and simple. He was always curious to see if he could do it. Who knew if it would come in handy or not. Secondly –as much as he didn’t want to admit it, he wanted to surprise Eren.

            Levi stood up and started to unfurl his wing but quickly stopped when his shirt started to stretch and tear. Oh yeah, there are no holes in this shirt. Levi made a mental note and then stripped off his shirt. It wouldn’t be the first or last time Levi had his wings out without a shirt. After folding his shirt, Levi looked around the massive yard trying to figure out the best place to ‘practice’. Somewhere he wouldn’t get too injured if he failed, yet somewhere that there was more room to fly. That is, if he actually could. He found what seemed like a good spot and then stretched out his wings. They fanned out, a beautiful contrast of black and white, and Levi flexed them. They flapped fluently and fluidly. If anything, Levi was actually very proud of his wings. They really were stunning.

            A gentle breeze caressed Levi, flipping some strands of hair back and ruffling his feathers softly. He felt nervous because he wasn’t exactly sure how to fly. Do I need to take a running start? Or will I be able to just take off like birds? Maybe I have to do a little bit of both? Levi’s eyes flickered towards a bird that flew past him. He watched it land, look around, twitch its feathers, and then suddenly take off. Levi knew that when birds flapped their wings, it wasn’t just up and down movements. It was a circular motion. He inhaled slowly and expanded his wings, he was ready to try this now.

            Deciding that he didn’t want to die today, Levi started simple. One step at a time. He simply flapped his wings with force and strength to it. This felt awkward. After living in a cage for so long, this freedom was different… and Levi liked that. It was weird to flap his wings like this because he had never done it like this before. He flapped his wings harder until he thought he was ready. Next step. Levi rotated his wings and found himself leaning slightly forward. His feet felt like they had less weight on them. Levi’s heart raced as his feet left the ground, just an inch. He then gasped as he fell to the ground and landed on his knees. Holy fuck! I can fly! I can do this!