real life

just as he said, brandon came and picked naomi up around 4. neither of them were dressed up but it was good enough for them.

"what are we eating this time?" brandon asked naomi as he drove away from her house.

"i'm craving mcdonald's for whatever reason, but it's completely up to you," naomi replied. she turned to look at brandon. she admired how concentrated he looked while driving. she found him absolutely beautiful.

"mcdonald's it is," brandon responded, taking a quick peek at the girl beside him.

...

the studio that naomi went to wasn't too professional. she liked the smaller cozy places rather than the more expensive ones. the studio they were in reminded brandon of his studio at home.

there was everything you needed without it being over the top. naomi pulled her laptop out of her backpack and set it down on the table. she began to hook all of the cords into their corresponding places. brandon thought it was the cutest thing ever. he watched her focus as she grabbed various cords and placed them where they went.

"okay, i think we should figure out what needs to be added to bouncin' before we hop into ex, because that's gonna be a much larger process," naomi told brandon, digging her fries out of the bag.

"i agree, let's play the track and then we can figure out what it needs," brandon said. he took a bite out of his burger before going to sit in the desk chair next to naomi. he loved how she produced most of her music by herself. they both loved the process of making something from scratch and perfecting it.

naomi played the song for brandon and they listened to it a couple times before they decided to start pitching ideas.

"okay so what if we take the little opening part and have it play throughout the song?" brandon voiced.

"let's try that," naomi replied. she did what brandon suggested and then played the song again.

"that sounds so good, naomi," brandon told the girl.

"thanks bumble bee. by the way don't hold back at all, if you think my idea sucks, tell me," naomi replied, laughing.

...

after another half hour of adding small touches to the song, naomi and brandon both felt like it was perfect.

"are you dropping it soon?" brandon asked.

"i think i'm gonna wait awhile. i have plans to drop an ep in a few months. i think i'm gonna release right before," naomi responded.

the duo had finished their food long ago. they still sat side by side, except they were a bit closer than when they began.

"hm. do you still want to record ex?" brandon asked her.

"i'd like to. i haven't even started on making a beat yet," naomi told him, sheepishly.

"we should probably start with that," brandon said, smiling widely at his crush.

and with that, the two got to work.

...

"here, go to the mic and snap your fingers on that beat right there," naomi told brandon. she had her headphones on,  but one side had been pushed behind her ear. she pushed the record button and grooved to the music. brandon did as he was told, snapping on the beats naomi told him to.

as soon as the song faded out, brandon looked over at naomi smiling. naomi smiled right back at him. brandon walked back over to his seat, still grinning. the two hugged briefly in excitement. then they pulled away, both still smiling.

"okay, we finished the beat. now for the vocals," brandon said. he looked over at naomi to find her looking over the lyric sheet.

"ah yes, the vocals," naomi said. that was one of her favorite parts. she loved the behind the scenes process that went into making music but also the heart she could pour into her vocals.

"here lemme see that," brandon said, pointing to the paper in front of her. she handed it over to him. he scanned the words quickly.

"looks like a bop to me," he told her. she laughed at him before snatching the paper back.

"are you going to be my sound engineer while i record?" naomi asked brandon. she teasingly smiled.

"i will be anything you want me to be, omi," brandon told her, smirking. she shook her head laughing, before walking to the microphone.

"i'll keep that in mind," she chuckled, putting on the headphones.

...