Chapter Seven

The stares of S. H. I. E. L. D. agents followed them as they walked towards one of the jets. The plan had been explained to all of them and they knew that whatever was waiting for them on the other side was not going to be pretty. 

Aquila followed Steve, Natasha, and Clint into one of the jets where they were quickly met with someone trying to deny them entry. 

"Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here."

"Son, just don't," Steve replied sternly as Aquila tried to hid her smirk. 

"Stark, we're on your three, heading northeast," Natasha said to Tony causing Aquila to sit up a little straighter. It was time. 

"What did you stop for drive-through?" Stark asked sarcastically. "Swing up Park, I'm going to lay them out for you."

The Quinjet flew through the air, the rifle the jet was fitted with, shooting at the Chitauri and eventually pulled up where Loki and Thor were fighting. 

They all looked in horror as Loki suddenly turned towards the jet and shot a solid blast at the right wing. The Quinjet began falling out of the sky. Aquila quickly reached up to grab a hold of the top of the Quinjet similar to what Captain Rogers was doing. However, this did nothing as the jet tumbled through the sky sending Aquila and Captain Rogers flying. 

Eventually, the jet crashed landed into a fancy building. The hatch opened and Aquila took a quick breath to calm her nerves, before transforming, following Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow out of the Quinjet. 

They all looked up at the portal as a bellowing rage echoed through the air. A shadow loomed over the city as what Talons believed was the Chitauri leviathan came out of the portal before quickly destroying everything in its path. 

"You've got to be kidding me." Talons thought to herself. 

Aquila hadn't stopped for what seemed like ages. Her talons and beak continuously ripping into the Chitauri, fighting with the alien until it was dead. 

Beside her, Black Widow and Hawkeye were also continuously fighting as well. Bullets rained from Black Widow's guns as Hawkeye's arrows flew through the air at a rapid speed and Talons swooped down like the bird of prey she was. Between the three of them, the Chitauri didn't stand a chance. 

Above her, she could clearly hear the commotion from the blue and black portal as even more, Chitauri rained down, terrorizing New York. There were so many civilians in the way and Captain America had already gone to go formulate a plan. Talons would have loved to go help as well, well as much help as she could in her eagle form but there was a war to fight. 

The blue blood of the Chitauri stained her feathers, as Talons looked around her. The bodies of the Chitauri laid beside her, all of them with marks from either her claws or beak. Adrenaline ran through her body as she fought until there was no Chitauri left. 

Talons was startled as lightning suddenly struck down from the sky, Thor was the in the center channeling the blast before firing the electricity out at the Chitauri soldiers still around them. Talons watched as they convulse for the last time before dropping dead to the ground. 

Talons dropped from the sky slightly before landing lightly on Black Widow's shoulder. Black Widow smiled up at the giant bird resting on her shoulder before scratching her feather slightly. 

"What's the story upstairs?" Captain America asked Thor.

"The powers surrounding the cube is impenetrable."

"Thor is right." Iron Man cut in via his comms. "We gotta deal with these guys."

"How do we do this?" Black Widow asked.

"As a team." Captain America said.

"I have unfinished business with Loki." 

"Yeah, get in line." Hawkeye interrupted. 

"Save it." Captain America said, stopping the bickering. "Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him, these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us. . ."

Captain America was interrupted by the sound of a motorbike, approaching. The group walked over to the motorbike, meeting Doctor Banner.

"So," Dr. Banner began," this all seems horrible."

"I've seen worse," Natasha said as Aquila tried to wrap her wing around the agent, letting out a soft caw in sympathy. 

"Sorry," Doctor Banner apologized. 

"No," Natasha said. "We could use a little worse." 

Aquila let out a louder caw in agreement. 

"Stark?" Captain America tried to make contact with Iron Man. "We got him."

"Banner?"

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you."

Talons quickly took the air again, her wings lightly brushing Natasha's face as they all looked up to reveal Iron Man, a Chitauri Levithan following him. 

"I. . . I don't see how that's a party. . ." Natasha said.

Iron Man with the Leviathan following right on his tail only grew closer to them.

"Dr. Banner. Now might be a really good time for you to get angry."

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry." Dr. Banner said. 

Talons watched in shock as Banner's body began to enlarge, slowly turning green. The Hulk punched the Leviathan in the nose causing it to do a full 360°. Iron Man prepared a rocket to shoot right into a soft spot as the Leviathan explodes. 

Talons dived down to avoid being hit as Captain America raised his shield to try and protect Black Widow and Hawkeye. 

The Chitauri screamed in protest at the fall of the Leviathan, their screams echoing throughout New York. 

The Avengers assembled, united at last. Talons flew above her teammates, a sense of accomplishment overwhelming her. 

However, it didn't last for long."

"Guys." Black Widow said.

"Call it, Cap." Iron Man said. 

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

"Wanna give me a lift?" Hawkeye asked. 

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas." 

"Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Steve said turning towards where Black Widow and Talons were. "You two and I, we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk. SMASH!"