Chapter Fifty-Three

VORMIR, 2014

"Wow, under different circumstances, this would be totally awesome."

Aquila chuckled shaking her head slightly at Clint's comment. "You can say that again."

The planet was dark and quiet as the three of them began their trek up the mountains, on high alert if anything unexpected was to happen. 

"I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain." 

"Technically, he's not a raccoon, you know?" Clint pointed out. 

"Whatever, he eats garbage." Natasha quickly shrugged it off. 

A voice suddenly echoed through the air. "Welcome." 

Instinctively, the three of them all reached for their weapons, whipping around to face what was in their path. 

A tall figure loomed in front of them, dressed in a ratted, flowing black cloak. 

"Natasha, Daughter of Ivan. Clint, Son of Edith. Aquila, Daughter of Conan." The voice spoke up once again. 

"Who are you?" Aquila demanded. 

"Consider me a guide. To you, and to all who seek the Soul Stone."

"Oh, good." Natasha cut in. "You tell us where it is. Then we'll be on our way."

"Ah, if only it were that easy." The figure spoke again, gesturing for the three of them to follow him as he floated toward the edge of the cliff. 

"What you seek lies in front of you. As does what you fear."

"The Stone is down there," Nat mutters, peering over the edge as Aquila hovered in concern, not wanting her to fall. 

"For two of you. For the other, in order to take the Stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul, for a soul."

"How's it going?" Clint said, waving at the figure. 

"Surely he can't be telling the truth," Aquila muttered, not wanting to believe it. "There must be another way."

"No, I don't think so." 

"Why 'cause he knows your Daddy's name?" Clint cut in. 

"I didn't," Natasha said softly. "Thanos left here with the stone without his daughter. It's not a coincidence."

"Whatever it takes," Aquila muttered. 

"Whatever it takes."

"If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead," Natasha said moving over towards where Clint and Aquila stood. 

"Then I guess we all know who it's gotta be."

"Yeah, I guess we do," Natasha replied, grabbing onto Aquila's hand. 

"Yeah, we do," Aquila repeated softly, offering her own hand for Clint to take.

"I'm starting to think, we all mean different people here, Natasha, Aquila."

"I've already had my chance at a new beginning. A new family when I was at the darkest point in my life. A new opportunity to do something I thought I would never be able to do. I got incredibly lucky. Now, I want others to have that chance." Aquila said softly. 

Natasha shook her head roughly in response to her wife's statements. "For the five years I've been trying to do one thing; get to right here. That's all it's been about. Bringing everybody back."

"So, let me do it, Nat. You'll get to experience it. Bringing everybody back. It's gotta be me." Aquila said. 

"You think I wanna do it? I'm trying to save both of your lives, you idiots."

"Yeah, well, I don't want you to, I don't want either of you to, because I. . . You both know what I've done. You know what I've become." Clint said sadly,  looking between the two of them. 

"I don't judge people on their worst mistakes." 

"Maybe you should," Clint replied, unable to meet their eyes.

"You didn't." 

"You're a pain in my ass, you know that?" 

Silence filled the air as the three of them took a moment to realize the gravity of the situation, clutching onto each other's hands like it was a lifeline. One life, in exchange for billions, there was no question, it had to be done. 

"I'm not going to let you do this, Nat," Aquila said, looking straight into her wife's eyes. "I can't."

"I'm sorry, Quila," Natasha said, pinning her quickly the ground before turning to Clint. 

"Tell my family I love them," Clint said, taking Natasha down to the ground. 

"You tell them yourself," Natasha replied, shooting one of her Widow Bites straight at his chest. 

Aquila picked herself up from the ground, only to have Clint pin her back down again, shooting an explosive arrow toward Natasha, the impact sending her flying to the side. 

Clint quickly took the chance, charging forward toward the edge, Aquila hot on his heels, Natasha tackling the two of them from the side. 

The next the three of them knew was that the three of them were dangling precariously off the safety line attached to Clint and Aquila's belts, Aquila gripping onto Natasha's hands for dear life, refusing to let go.

"Damn you," Clint said, shaking his head. 

"No." Aquila choked out, tears already welling in the corners of her eyes. "There's got to be another way. I'll find another way, I promise. Clint, tell her!"

"There is no other way, Quila, you know that," Natasha said softly. 

"No, I'm not going to let you go. I need you."

"I'm so sorry our lives together got cut short, Quila. Let me go, it's okay, I love you."

"No, please," Aquila begged, as she stared into Natasha's eyes, fear bubbling up in her stomach. 

"I love you, Quila. Never forget that." Natasha said, offering one last smile, kicking off the wall and falling from Aquila's grip. 

It had all happened in a quick second and there was nothing Clint could do but watch as Aquila unattached the connection of the safety line of her own belt, free-falling after her wife. 

Transforming in mid-air, the eagle tried desperately to reach Natasha, to save her, milliseconds too late. 

She was gone.