Chapter Thirty-Five

Aquila observed the mess that the UN building and surrounding area had become, before pulling the cap lower over her sunglass-covered eyes. 

The cafe provided a small safe haven for the three of them to hide out in before Sharon came providing them with the little details she could give them to help. 

Aquila looked up slightly once Steve entered the cafe, having just held a short conversation with Natasha. 

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked Steve. 

"Probably has a point." Aquila chimed in. 

"He'd do it for me," Steve replied. 

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our option. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me." 

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public," Sharon said, joining their weird group, not bothering to look any of them in the eyes in order to not blow their cover. 

"Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of its noise, except for this," She said, before sliding a thin manilla folder down to Steve. "My boss expects a briefing pretty much. . . Now, so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you."

"And, you're gonna have to hurry, we have orders to shoot on sight."

Aquila entered into the small apartment behind Steve, looking around at the barely furnished apartment, it was clear it only accommodated for basic comforts but still was probably better than wherever he had been staying before. 

Steve walked over to the fridge picking up a small notebook before opening it. 

"Heads up, Cap, Talons. German special forces approaching from the South." Sam said through the comm. 

"Understood." 

Aquila had heard Bucky walk into the room and as Steve slowly turned around it seemed like he had discovered him as well. 

"Do you know me?"

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

"They've set the perimeter," Sam said once again over the comms. 

"I know you're nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore."

"They're entering the building." Aquila steeled herself, knowing that this was going to end in a fight. 

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart. Good strategy."

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam said. 

"Shit," Aquila cursed under her breath. 

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck."

"It always ends in a fight."

"5 seconds."

"You pulled me from the river. Why?"

"I don't know."

"3 seconds!"

"Yes, you do," Aquila said calmly. 

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"

A grenade was thrown through the window but Steve quickly used his shield to deflect it. 

A loud bang suddenly echoed through the room as Aquila ducked to avoid being hit, Bucky using his mattress as a shield. 

All chaos broke out as the glass shattered, two German special forces breaking through. 

Aquila quickly jumped into action as the three of them took down the special forces. 

"Buck! Stop! You're gonna kill someone," Steve exclaimed as Bucky punched a hole in the floor, near Steve's head. 

"I'm not going to kill anyone," Bucky said before throwing a bag out of the window. 

More shots ran through the air as Steve grabbed Aquila and Bucky, holding his shield up to deflect them. Aquila watched in horror as Bucky shoved Steve out of the way before advancing on the German, blocking the bullets with his metal hand, before knocking out two soldiers with a table and a heavy brick. 

"Well, isn't this just lovely," Aquila muttered before following Bucky out into the stairwell where she was met by heavy fire that seemed to be coming from every direction. 

She didn't want to transform, with her large form, in such a small stairwell, it would most likely cause more harm than good, so she settled for fighting her way through instead, her old warrior training shining through. 

Bucky kept swinging down to the levels below him like he was Tarzan or something. 

Steve had finally recovered from his little adventure and had joined the two. 

Aquila watched out of the corner of her eye, currently occupied by the man she was fighting as Bucky throw one of the soldiers over the railing but Steve managed to catch him last minute before he fell to his death. 

"Come on, man."

The sound of metal creaking filled the air as Bucky swung down more flights of stairs, before running off. 

"You've got to be kidding me," Aquila muttered, before throwing herself into the last few soldiers knocking them out. 

Aquila followed Steve through the door that Bucky had gone through moments before, only to see two figures fighting below. 

"Sam, Southwest rooftop," Steve reported, backing up slightly. 

"Who the hell is the other guy?" Sam asked. 

"I'm about to find out," Steve said before jumping over. 

The sound of a helicopter filled the air before it started to shoot at Bucky and the other man he was fighting.

"Sam." 

"Got him," Sam replied, shoving the chopper off its course.

Aquila ran straight off the roof, free-falling for a few moments before transforming into her eagle form. Enjoying the use of one of her most useful skills. 

"Sam, Aquila. I can't shake this guy."

"We are right behind you," Sam replied as Aquila swooped down to fall in line with him. 

A car was swerved dangerously in front, the guy that Bucky had been fighting before clinging tightly onto the back of it. Unfortunately, for Sam, the guy had jumped up grabbing onto Sam which weighed him down. 

Sam eventually managed to fling the guy off him but sent him forwards slashing the motorcycle tire that Bucky was riding on. 

"Well, I don't exactly think that was supposed to happen," Aquila muttered. 

The exit of the tunnel was smashed but Aquila followed Sam's path out of it, before transforming in mid-air, tucking and rolling her body as she landed. 

Cops suddenly surrounded everyone. Rhodey wore the War Machine armor not too far away. 

"Stand down now." He said as men walked forward to place handcuffs on everyone's wrists. "Congratulations, Cap. You're a criminal."