Chapter Thirty-Four

Gentle music wafted throughout the church as Aquila sat next to Sam, waiting for the ceremony for Peggy to start. 

Both of them were occasionally reading the laminated booklet that Sam was holding both as a distraction from the sad atmosphere of the room but for Aquila to distract herself from the growing number of missed calls and texts on the phone in her pocket. 

Yes, she, Sam and Steve had kind of ran off from the mess that the Accords was creating but at the same time, it was clear that none of them were signing. 

The one thing that Aquila had feared; that the Accords would create a rift into between her and Natasha was already coming true. 

But what she had said that day was still true, the safest hands were still their own. 

A choir started singing just as huge elegant doors swung open revealing Steve and a few other men, carrying Peggy's casket down the aisle of the church. 

Once placing the casket down where it was surrounded by flowers and old photographs, Steve eventually came to sit back next to Aquila and Sam.

Aquila shot him a warm smile, knowing exactly how hard this must be for him. 

"And, now I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words."

Aquila's eyes widened as she watched Sharon walk up to the podium. She didn't realize she was related to Peggy. And by Steve's expression on his face, he didn't know it either. 

"Magaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S. H. I. E. L. D.  .  . but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related."

Sharon and Steve seemed to be having a bit of a staring match, as Sharon seemed to almost beg Steve to forgive her, without even speaking a word. 

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time where no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. . .it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say "No, you move."

Aquila stood at the magnificent oak doors, not wanting to intrude on Natasha comforting Steve but at the same time, not wanting a chance to talk to Nat slip through her fingers.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her." Steve said. 

"She had you back, too," Natasha replied. 

"Who else signed?" Steve asked as Aquila walked over, wanting to know who did as well. 

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision. Keira."

"Keira?" Aquila asked in confusion. "She isn't an Avenger though."

"But, she fought with us in Sokovia, so she has to."

"What about Clint?" Steve asked.

"Says he's retired." Natasha smiled, as Aquila nodded her head along in agreement. She was glad, Clint had finally gotten his chance to spend his time just with his family. 

"Wanda?" 

"TBD," Natasha said, smiling at both of them. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the accords, there's plenty of room on the jet?"

Natasha looked between them. She knew just as well as Aquila did that this would split the Avengers, they would no longer be a family. 

"Just because it's the path of least resistance, doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve countered. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"Aquila?" Natasha turned to her girlfriend, her eyes pleading, she didn't want this to split them up. 

"I'm sorry but I can't either."

Aquila walked back to the hotel with Sam, while Sharon and Steve walked a little further in front of them. 

Her chance to talk with Natasha had gone okay, to say the least. Natasha respected her discussion on the Accords just as Aquila respected Natasha's. The two had parted ways as Natasha needed to head to Vienna but things seemed to be alright between the two of them, for now. 

A TV suddenly caught Aquila's eye, pulling her out of her thoughts before she immendiantely turned to Sam. 

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King, T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassination."

"Shit," Aquila muttered, her fingers tapping lightly across her phone screen sending a message to make sure Natasha was alright. 

"I have to get to work," Sharon said to the three of them before leaving the room. 

Aquila's phone lit up with a reply. Natasha was fine, shaken, but fine. She let out a sigh of relief, before following Steve and Sam out of the room to probably do something that was going to get them in trouble.