Chapter Twenty-Seven

Needless to say, it didn't take long for the rest of the Avengers to notice something big had happened between Natasha and Aquila.

Even just the hidden glances and slightly red cheeks were enough. They had all been expecting something to happen for a while and it finally had. 

Neither Natasha or Aquila had exactly defined what they were now, but both hoped that it wasn't just a once-off occasion. 

Aquila felt safe with Natasha and for the lack of a better word, truly alive. After all, it was Natasha that had prompted her to stop running from her past in the first place and without her persistence, Aquila probably would have never seen her remaining family and tribe again.

But neither woman could think about what they both wanted to be as something else had clearly happened as a new person was sleeping on the couch in the living room and Keira had bright-red eyes from what looked like crying. 

Fury had called a meeting on his arrival, causing everyone to meet in the kitchen. Upon walking in, Aquila immendiantely sat next to Natasha at the dining room table, their hands intertwining immediately amongst the looks that were sent their way. 

"What's Quinn doing here?" Aquila whispered to Nat, upon the sight of her blonde friend looking slightly out of place, sending her a slight wave before turning back to the redhead. 

"Clint rang her, Steve really needed her." Natasha replied, looking back towards Steve who now seemed calmer with Quinn's presence.  

It had been a while since Aquila had last seen Fury, as he did look vastly different apart from the eyepatch that seemed to be back now. 

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's a just one thing."

Aquila nearly jumped out of her skin as she sensed the presence of a person beside her, turning only to see that it was Lila, Clint's daughter holding out a butterfly drawing for both of them. 

They both thanked the girl, Natasha gently pressing a hand to her cheek before Lila scurried off again. 

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked. 

"Ah," Fury said in response. "He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"Is he still going after the launch codes?" Tony asked, voicing the question that was swirling around in all their heads. 

"Yes, he is but he's not making any headway."

Aquila breathed a sigh of relief as quietly as she could as the discussion only continued. 

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony boasted in his usual manner. 

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that," Fury replied. 

"Nexus?" Steve asked.

"What?" Aquila also asked, equally as confused. 

Between her and Steve, both of their knowledge of technology was basic but the only difference was that Aquila grew in up in a tribe that didn't use technology instead of being trapped under ice. 

"It's the World Internet Hub in Oslo," Bruce explained to the two of them. "Every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth."

"Oh, okay." Aquila breathed, pretending to understand. 

"So, what'd they say?"

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed."