Chapter Eight

Talons fought beside Black Widow and Captain America this time. She watched as Black Widow was taken off her feet by a Chitauri soldier, Talons quickly swopped in, cutting the soldier at the throat watching it fall dead. 

"Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal." Black Widow said, tiredly. 

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it."

"Well, maybe it's not about guns."

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride."

Talons wanted to help Black Widow get to the tower but in her current exhaustive state, she knew there was no way that she could. 

"I got a ride. I could use a lift though."

Talons watched as Black Widow backed up, giving herself a running start as Captain America angled his shield.

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah. It's gonna be fun." Black Widow said before running at the shield, jumping into the air and successfully grabbing onto to one of the flying chariots.

"You right there, Talons?" Captain America asked. 

Talons let out a loud caw which signaled the words 'never better'. 

"Captain, Talons, the bank on 42nd past Madison, they caught a lot of civilians there." Hawkeye cut in. 

"We're on it." Captain America said. 

Dozens upon dozens of civilians seeking shelter in the bank were surrounded by three Chitauri soldiers, pointing their weapons threateningly at them. A loud beeping sound echoed through the room just as Captain America and Talons jumped through identical windows, fighting the Chitauri simultaneously. 

In the midst of the fighting, the beeping also grew louder and at a more rapid speed. 

"Everyone! Clear out!" Captain America shouted before the bomb set off sending Talons into the nearby wall and Captain America through the window. 

"Goddamit." Talons thought, her already tender wing from her earlier encounter with the Hulk giving off a painful twinge. "This day really can't get much better."

Talons eventually managed to fly out of the building but didn't get very far as she was soon shot out the sky by the Chitauri. 

"Shit." Talons said, slowly transforming back into her human self. She had been struck in the leg in her eagle form and throughout her transformation, her injuries only grew. The wound now covered her entire upper thigh. 

"You alright there, Talons?" Iron Man asked the woman. 

"Oh, yes. Everything's perfect." She responded sarcastically, her eyes widening as she noticed all the Chitauri surrounding her. 

With the wound on her leg, Aquila knew she had no hope of turning back into her eagle form, she was going to have to fight these guys old school. 

She flung herself at the first one, stealing his weapon off him roughly before using it to take down him and the others. For once her old school warrior training before she had had her animal enhancement ceremony had finally paid off. It was a real surprise that she had still maintained such strength throughout the years. 

"I can close it! Can anybody hear me? I can shut the portal down!" Black Widow shouted. 

"Do it!" Captain America shouted back to her through his comms. 

"No, wait!" 

"Stark, these things are still coming!"

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

"Are you sure, Stark?" Aquila asked Iron Man.

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip."

Regardless everyone watched as Iron Man climbs higher and higher before eventually throwing himself into the portal. 

Despite her heavily bleeding wound in her thigh, Aquila managed to pick herself back up before limping over to where Captain America and Thor stood. 

The Avengers all looked up, hoping to see Tony fall back out of the portal. Aquila gasped as an impressive heavenly display exploded above her head creating what looked to be a supernova. 

Thor looked to Aquila before turning to Captain America. "Close it." Captain America said. 

They all watched as the portal quickly closed, the blue energy beam evaporating into nothing. 

"Oh my god." Aquila breathed to herself.

"Son of a gun!" Captain America shouted, a smile breaking onto his face. 

Tony Stark had somehow survived and was plummeting to the Earth. 

"He's not slowing down," Thor said before swinging Mjölnir around prepared to catch him. 

However, the Hulk sprung up, snagging Iron Man before crashing down a nearby building and throwing Iron Man to the ground. 

Captain America and Thor run over towards Tony with Aquila limping behind them. Thor ripped Tony's mask off, his eyes shut. 

The Hulk let out a huge roar startling Tony awake. 

"What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me?" Tony said.

"We won." Captain America said. 

"Alright. Hey. Alright. Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shwarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it."

Aquila tried to suppress a snort. "Glad to see a near-death experience hasn't gotten rid of your humor, Stark."

"What the hell happened to you?" Tony asked Aquila looking at the large wound on her leg.

"Oh, you know, fighting aliens, it's a part of my usual day."

The Avengers had met up for the last time before going their separate ways. Thor had taken Loki and the Tesseract back home to Asgard while Tony Stark, Doctor Banner, and Steve Rogers had already left as well. It was just Natasha, Clint and Aquila left.

Natasha and Clint had a car to depart in and Aquila's motorcycle stood only a few meters away. 

"What are you going to do now, Aquila?" Natasha asked.

"Well, to be completely honest, I don't really know."