Chapter Thirty-Three

"Secretary Ross had a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have," Rhodes argued with Sam.

Their argument was the only sound in the room other than Steve flicking through the Accords trying to get as much information as possible.

No one quite knew what to do about the Sokovia Accords and what Secretary Ross had explained to them, but Aquila knew something, this situation was not going to be good for their already fragile team.

"So, let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam argued back.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No that's cool. We got it.'"

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Vision interjected suddenly.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam sarcastically muttered.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons had grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked, on edge.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict. . . breeds catastrophe. Oversight. . . oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom," Rhodey said for emphasis, using Vision's point as evidence to win his argument with Sam.

"Tony. . ." Natasha started from beside Aquila, drawing everyone's attention to the man. "You're being uncharacteristically non-hyper verbal."

"That's because he's already made up his mind," Steve said, finally turning away from the Sokovia Accords in his hand, reading Tony like an open book.

"Boy, you know me so well," Tony sat, picking himself up from his spot on the couch, rubbing the sides of his head dramatically. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee ground in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

Aquila's eyes widened slightly as an image of a smiling young man was suddenly projected from Tony's phone. 

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel, planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where?" Tony said, pausing for emphasis even though Aquila already knew what his next word was going to be.

"Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference; I suppose. We wouldn't know cause we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass."

Tony's statement once again affected the team in different ways, but the majority of them looked down in shame and sadness at his words.

"There's no decision-making process here!" Tony said raising his voice. "We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve tried to argue back.

"Who said we're giving up?"

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

"I'm sorry, Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S. H. I. E. L. D., it's not HYDRA."

"No," Steve interjected. "But, it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose." Steve said and Aquila couldn't help but agree. "What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us?"

"We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own," Aquila interjected, feeling Natasha's eyes on her. 

"If we don't do this now," Tony said, also staring at Aquila. "It's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty."

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda stated.

"We would protect you." Vision replied.

"Maybe Tony's right."

Aquila's eyes widened further as she looked to the woman to her left, barely believing the words that had just come out of her mouth.

"If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off – "

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam interrupted.

"I'm just. . . I'm reading the terrain. We have made. . . some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back." Natasha continued, as usual trying to think the best for the team.

Aquila wanted to make a retort, but she still respected Natasha's decision. After all, everyone was entitled to an opinion, even though Aquila didn't necessarily agree with it.

"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony said, also not quite believing what Natasha had said.

"Oh, I want to take it back now."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed. . . I win." Tony ranted on, as usual not giving anyone their own chance to speak their mind.

"I have to go," Steve said, his voice cracking slightly.

All eyes in the room followed him as he left the room after throwing the Accords back onto the coffee table.

"I'll be right back. Feel free to continue to have this lively discussion while I'm gone." Aquila said before running out of the room after Steve.

"Steve!" Aquila shouted, finally catching up to him. "What is the matter? What has happened?"

Steve looked at Aquila sadly. "Peggy's gone." He whispered.

"I'm so sorry, Steve."