Chapter Forty-Six

Aquila Cadman just stared blankly at the wall, the thoughts buzzing in and out of her head making up for her blank facial expression. 

It had nearly been a month since everything had happened. Since they lost since Keira disappeared suddenly in the middle of the night and Aquila was unable to track her any longer. Since Carol Danvers flew into space in a final attempt to find Tony and bring him home. 

Aquila didn't know what to do anymore, how would they move on, how could they even do so? 

The floor beneath Aquila's feet began to vibrate as everything started to shake around her. She looked around her quickly only to see Natasha's figure appear in the doorway. 

"Aquila!" Natasha called out snapping Aquila back to reality. "Aquila!" 

The two of them hurried down the corridors of the compound, stopping only to find a now clean-shaven Steve standing at the bathroom who quickly joined them as they bolted out of the compound. The three of them came to a halt to stand in the open field outside the Compound, Bruce, Rhodey, and Rocket with them. 

Carol Danvers glowed brightly as she carried the Benatar to the ground. She placed the ship on the ground gently before turning her head to look towards the team, giving them a slight nod as her highlighted figure dimmed down. 

Aquila shared a small smile with Natasha, reaching forward to grab a hold of her hand. 

The ramp of the ship opened and Steve rushed forward first. Nebula was holding tightly onto Tony's arm, the two of them carefully taking each step one by one until they eventually reached the bottom. Steve quickly took Tony's other arm, trying to help his thin, sickly-looking friend in any way he could. 

"We couldn't stop him," Tony muttered, leaning against Steve for support. 

"Neither could I."

Tony paused, various emotions rushing across his face as he stumbled through his next words. 

"I lost the kid."

"Tony. . . we lost."

"Is. . . Is. . . um . . ." Tony stumbled over his words once again, his eyes frantically searching the people in front of him. "Keira?"

Aquila swallowed, letting go of Natasha's hand as she stepped up to where Steve and Tony stood. 

"Keira is fine. She has gone to find her father." Aquila said, leaving some of the main details out, only to explain them to Tony when he was in a better shape of mind. 

"Oh, good." Tony breathed out heavily. 

Aquila looked sadly towards Natasha as Steve began to help Tony back inside the compound. The two of them were now the only couple in the team left standing. 

Quinn was gone and although Steve was trying his best to hide it, Aquila knew just how much it was affecting him to have lost her. Aquila would have felt the same way if the tables had been turned and she had ended up losing Natasha. 

And Keira was now gone too. Aquila didn't even know when Keira and Tony would get to see each other again, if ever. Keira had disappeared and the team had no clue of knowing her whereabouts or even if she was alright. 

They had all lost so much, they were all never going to feel whole again. 

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth,"

Aquila Cadman stared solemnly at the holographic casualty report that they had pulled together, the images of people they knew flickered upon the screen before disappearing once again. 

Tony was now sat across the room in a wheelchair, multiple IVs hanging from his arm. He was also watching the highlighted images they had lost passing by, his head dropping slightly once Bea Ross and Peter Parker's images came by. 

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did. . ." Natasha trailed off and Aquila quickly grabbed her hand. 

"He did exactly what he said he was gonna do." Aquila continued. "Thanos wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures."

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony questioned the team as Steve only replied with a small shrug. 

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through,"

Tony quickly pointed to where a sullen-looking Thor now sat inside the small glass conference room. 

"What's wrong with him?" Tony asked. 

"Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

Tony stared at Rocket in disbelief. "Honestly, up until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear."

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him." Steve continued on, desperate for any answers or clues. 

"Who told you that?" Tony asked surprised. "I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the stone. That's what happened. There was no fight."

"Oh, god. Here we go again." Aquila muttered, already sensing an argument brewing. 

"He's unbeatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Steve persisted. 

Tony just rolled his eyes in response. "I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus-"

"And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" 

Tony rose to his feet, hitting his bowl of soup across the table, the entire room of heroes jumping at the sudden bang. He only continued to stalk towards Steve, ripping the IV's from his arm, Rhodey doing everything he could to try and stop him from moving. 

"Tony, Tony-"

"I need to shave. I need to go find Keira. And I believe I remember telling you all that what we needed was a suit of armor around the world! Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not- that's what we needed!"

"Well that didn't work out, did it?" Steve continued. 

"I said, 'we'd lose'. You said, 'we'll do that together too.'. And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers, we're the Avengers. Not the Prevengers."

"Okay, you've made your point. Just sit down, okay?" Rhodey tried again to reason with Tony as he only shoved past him.

"Here's my point. She's great, by the way. We need you. You're new blood," Tony pointed towards Carol before standing face to face with Steve. "Bunch of tired old mules! I got nothing for you, Cap. I got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no option. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust. Liar."

Aquila looked in concern between Tony and Steve before rising to her feet as Tony ripped the device off his chest, shoving it in Steve's hand. 

"Here, take this. You find him, and you put that on. You hide." Tony said falling to the ground. 

"Tony!" Everyone shouted out in concern. 

"I'm fine. I. . . " Tony sat before passing out on the floor.