Chapter Thirty-One

Sunlight trickled in from the open window illuminating the freckles that sat upon Aquila's bare shoulder, a lock of red hair laying across her arm. 

It was a rare occasion for the sun to even reach the occupants in the bed as, since the Battle of Sokovia, things had only gotten crazier, and quieter. 

Steve, Natasha, and Aquila now had their hands full with the new recruits but with Tony, Keira, Thor, and Bruce not around, the compound felt emptier. 

It was completely understandable of course. Keira and Tony had taken a small break from the team to organize things for Keira's fifteen-year-old sister, Bea. No one quite knew where Thor and Bruce were but still held onto the hope that eventually they would both return. 

But things in the new compound still went on and despite both working full-time jobs, Aquila and Natasha still manage to make time for each other and their now-public relationship. 

It hadn't taken long for everybody to find out. 

Steve had been the first after he had accidentally walked in on the two of them and with cheeks as red as tomatoes he had eventually found out the truth. Clint wasn't too long afterward, but to be fair, pretty much everyone had already suspected it.

Aquila carefully picked herself up off the bed, placing the arm that had been around her waist back down. As much as she didn't want to leave the bed and her girlfriend, it did save Steve the embarrassment of having to wake them up. She threw on a shirt before heading down to the communal kitchen.

She had only just pressed the button down on the kettle when another figure walked into the kitchen, the sound of their footsteps giving off the urgency of the situation. It didn't take long for Aquila to work out exactly who it was. 

"What is it, Steve?" Aquila asked, turning around to face the man behind her. 

"Rumlow, it's the best lead we've had in months."

"Where?" Aquila asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Lagos, Nigeria."

Aquila didn't even question the location. "Ok, then. Looks like we are going to Nigeria."

"Meet at the Quinjet in fifteen," Steve announced. "I'll get the others but can you get Nat?"

"Yeah, sure," Aquila said, glancing at her unmade cup of tea sadly. "I swear they do not pay me enough for this."

Aquila pulled her cap further down so her face was cast more in shadow, her hand absentmindedly stirring the cup of tea, that she had finally gotten, in front of her, while her eyes flickered around. 

"All right, what do you see?" Steve asked Wanda, testing her knowledge. 

"Standard beat cops," Wanda replied, her eyes meeting Aquila's briefly. "Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means. . ."

"Cameras."

"Both cross streets are one way." Aquila chipped in, giving the newer member some help.

"So, compromised escape routes." Wanda guessed. 

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" Steve continued. 

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute."

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." Natasha said, holding her cup to her mouth, her sunglasses obscuring her eyes.