Chapter Thirty-Eight

The fact that Aquila was watching one half of her family prepare to fight the other half of her family, broke her inside. 

She had made her choice, she didn't want to give up her freedom. But at the same time, she would give anything to not have to fight her family. 

It didn't help that Steve had come up with another completely stupid plan. 

He would be approaching the helicopter mostly alone only with Scott. Wanda and Clint from the point on the carpark roof as well as Sam, Bucky and herself in the terminal would be able to provide backup effectively but Aquila still didn't like the plan in the slightest. 

The rest of the team were finalizing everything, suiting up. It was pretty easy for Aquila who would remain in the same clothes until the actual fight if it happened started because from there she would just transform. 

Aquila was slightly glad this was the case, as her old casual outfit of her leather jacket paired with her combat boots made the situation ultimately more comfortable. 

Aquila walked through the terminal with Sam and Bucky by her side, the three of them watched as Steve ran towards the helicopter, before it was shot with electricity, Iron Man and War Machine descended before Steve. 

"Shoot," Aquila muttered. "Sam, we'll need another plan. Is there another chopper or event the Quinjet they arrived in?"

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?" Tony asked Rhodes.

"Definitely weird."

"Hear me out, Tony." Steve tried to explain. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

Aquila observed as a black figure jumped before landing with outstretched claws. 

"Captain," T'Challa greeted Steve, bowing his head slightly. 

"Your highness," Steve replied. 

"Anyway," Tony said, breaking off their conversation in his usual fashion. "Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in. That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You got the wrong guy."

"Your judgment is askew. Your war buddy killed innocent people yesterday."

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him!" Steve tried to explain once again. "I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't."

A flash of red hair shone in the sunlight, as Aquila watched painfully as the love of her life made her presence known to Steve. 

Aquila knew that this was the end of them, because how could they bounce back from having to fight each other.  Aquila hoped that maybe one day they would have another chance, but for now, it was over. 

"Steve. . . You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?"

"Come on, Steve," Keira said as Aquila's eyes widened, she hadn't originally expected her to even be fighting but considering she had signed she probably didn't have much of a choice. 

"All right. I've run out of patience." Tony stated, cupping his hands. "Underoos!"

A web-like substance suddenly flew out of the air attaching to Cap's shield with Steve's hands strapped together by the same substance. A boy in blue and red spandex landed on the top of a small plane, the shield in hand. 

"Nice job, kid." Tony praised, as Aquila was left speechless. 

"Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit. . . Well, it's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's--it's perfect. Thank you."

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation." 

"Okay. Cap. . . Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man."

Aquila smirked, she really should get Scott and this Spider-Man in a room together.

"You've been busy," Steve said. 

"And you've been a complete idiot." Tony fired back. "Dragging in Clint. . .  Forcing Aquila and Natasha to go against each other. . . 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place."

"I'm trying to keep. . . I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart." Tony said, struggling to keep his emotions in check. 

"You did that when you signed." Steve countered as Tony fell into silence, not quite believing that someone didn't agree with him. 

"Alright, we're done," Tony said, as Aquila sighed, everything was going to go to shit in a few minutes. "You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. Now! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys. . . with no compunction about being impolite."

Aquila looked over to Sam who gave her a quick nod in confirmation because relaying the same news to Steve.

"We found it. Their Quinjet's in hanger five, north runway."

An arrow shot through the air, tearing the webbed material binding Steve's hands. "All right, Lang."

"Hey, guys something -" Spider-Man starting to say but was cut off as Scott grew in size, sending Spider-Man to the ground. 

"Whoa. What. . . What the hell was that?"

"I believe this is yours, Captain America," Scott said, retrieving the shield before handing it back to Steve. 

"Oh, great," Tony said.  "Alright, there's two on the parking deck. One of them's Maximoff, I'm gonna grab her. Rhodey, you want to take Cap?"

"Got three in the terminal, Wilson, Barnes, Cadman," Rhodey stated in return. 

"Barnes is mine." T'Challa declared, running off but didn't get far as Steve stopped him. 

"Move Captain," T'Challa warned. "I won't ask a second time."

Aquila's eyes widened as the sound of metal against metal rang through the air before she turned to Sam and Bucky.

"We gotta go."