Chapter Thirty-Six

Aquila sighed slightly as she stepped out of the van that they had all been held in, only to see Sharon surrounded by a bunch of people she didn't know, which probably meant they were egotistical assholes. 

"What's going to happen to him?" Steve asked Bucky the only thing on his mind as usual. 

"Same thing that ought to happen to you." The man retorted back. "Psychological evaluation and extradition."

Yep, Aquila had been right. More egotistical assholes. 

"This is Everett Ross PD Task Commander," Sharon said. 

"What about a lawyer?"

"Lawyer, that's funny. See that their weapons are placed in lock-up." Everett stated. "Oh, we will write you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that," Sam said as the group walked out into an open corridor. 

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" 

"I don't intend on going anywhere," T'Challa responded. 

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like," Natasha said, walking beside Steve, refusing to meet Aquila's gaze. 

"He's alive," Steve replied. 

"No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup." Tony's voice reached Aquila's ears as they turned the corner to see him talking into his phone. 

"Try not to break anything while we fix this," Natasha said, her gaze swinging right past Aquila's. 

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously, you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir."

"Consequences?" Steve questioned. 

"Secretary Ross wants you three prosecuted. Had to give him something."

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?"

"Technically, it's the government's property," Natasha told him. "Wings too."

"What a shame." Aquila joked, knowing that there was no way they could stop her shapeshifting unless they forced her into a cage. 

"That's cold," Sam commented, ignoring Aquila's previous statement. 

"Warmer than jail."

Hey, you two wanna see something cool?" Tony asked, coming into the room where Steve and Aquila were being kept. "I pulled something from Dad's archives. FDR signed the Lend-Lease Act  with these in 1941, provided support to the Allies when they needed it most."

Aquila sighed, knowing exactly where this was going. 

"Some would say it brought our country closer to war."

"See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here. I'm trying to. . . what do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?" Tony said, bringing his hand to his face. 

"Is Keira here? I thought she signed?" Steve asked. 

"She did, she's probably. . . um  . . . being busy somewhere."

"What happened, Tony?" Aquila asked, caring for her friend, despite them on opposite sides.

"It's nothing, really. Just a rough patch."

"I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know." Steve said. 

"Well, after all, everyone already expected her to have left by now, hate me again like she did when we were kids. I'm a real handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work."