midnight bonfires

"No. Stay here, please." I whisper, gripping tightly onto his waist as he tries to pull away.

"I'll be back in like two hours Kayc, you'll survive- don't give me that look." I hear, looking at him with curiosity.

"What look?" I ask, staring at him as he gently removes my hands from his waist.

"That pouty look, I have to go see Serris-" he begins as I cut him off.

"So why can't I come?" I ask softly, hopping onto the stool behind me.

"Because you have to stay here and help Mom. I'll facetime you when I get there, I've got to go! I love you!" he exclaims before rushing out the door and I turn towards my mom.

"You can vacuum, Brad spilled something on the floor." she says, not turning from her cooking station as I sigh, making my way up the stairs.
~~~~

"KAYCEE!" I hear, jumping as I accept the facetime call.

"Move Sean! Serris!  How are you? How's the baby?" I ask, smiling lightly as I watch her face appear on the screen.

"We're good! Kylee's good! How are you? How's the married life?" she ask, sitting in a hospital room.

"Good! Missing you guys and your gremlin-looking brother, also you guys come home tomorrow? Right?" I ask, smiling as she confirms it with the nod of her head.

"You guys should come to this bonfire my family's throwing, I know it's not healthy for the baby, so we could all switch off, like shifts to watch him." I say, smiling hopefully as she nods.

"I'll check to make sure Kyle is okay with it and we'll be there! I've got to go, but I love you too!" she exclaims, a bright smile on her face as I wave quickly.

"Love you too!" I exclaim, watching as the phone is passed around.

"I'll be back in like an hour, please don't break any bones." I hear, seeing Sean in the screen as I roll my eyes lightly.

"I won't break anything, just hurry up, Mom is gonna make me clean the toilets soon." I say, sinking down in my bed as he laughs before ending the call.
~~~~

"Alright guys! The food's ready! Out to the yard!" I hear, grabbing the basket of blankets as everyone carries something outside.

"Serris just got here! Honey get the door!" I hear, smiling as I balance the basket on my hip, rushing towards the door.

"Hey guys! Come on in, everyone's out back." I say, smiling lightly as Kylee walks past me, taking light steps as he carries the carseat.

"Hey, we brought some stuff, I'm not sure if everyone will-" she begins as I wave her off quickly, taking it from her hands.

"Does it have to be warmed or chilled?" I ask, walking into the kitchen.

"Warmed preferably, that way it's easier to cut but you can chill it." she says, setting down the diaper bag beside Kylee.

"You guys can just bring him outside if you both really want to be out there, the bugs aren't bad and I'm pretty sure Devon has a carseat net to keep things from flying in the seat around here some where." I say, setting the dish in the oven before rushing up to Devon's old room.
~~~~

"No, stop." I whisper, slapping his arm away as I pull the blanket closer, staring at the bonfire.

"You're so mean. Share with me!" he exclaims as I look towards him, watching as he pouts, extending one side of the blanket.

"You're lucky I love you, god you're needy." I whisper, leaning into his chest as I feel a kiss on the temple of my head.

"Should we do smores next?" I hear, looking towards Kylie as she holds up the marshmallows and chocolate, smiling at the memory.

"This kind of reminds me of that one episode of Sean Lew Approved you guys did a couple years back!" Sarah exclaims, passing around the different things needed as I hum, smiling lightly as I hear the agreements of those around us.

"If you think about it it's the first bonfire where everyone is here, I'm looking at you Devon!" Serris exclaims, making the entire circle of people laugh.

"Hey, what time is it?" I ask, holding back a laugh as Sean drops his marshmallow into the dirt.

"Almost past midnight. It's a midnight bonfire if you think about it." Miya says, glancing at her phone before wrapping an arm around Cheuk.

how cute.

This has got to be my worst yet and I apologize:( -shay💙💛