the invite

the man stared at the piece of paper in his hand.

he had just gotten back from australia, traveling and learning.

he rarely checked his social medias unless he was posting about his career, so he didn't know.

until it showed up in his mailbox.

"you're invited to our wedding" he read, holding a breath as he stared at their names on the front.

"no way. this can't be happening. it can't be true." he whispered to himself, feeling a vile feeling rise within him.

it's like his world was collapsing.

he couldn't breathe.

"mom. did you know?" the man later asked over the phone as he sat in his office, clicking his pen with nerves.

"i did. she told me herself honey, but you should be excited!" he heard the woman's voice exclaim as he felt an unknown feeling.

he wanted to cry?

his little sister,

the baby of the family,

was getting married.

as the months passed, he watched as the frantic couple rushed to prepare for their wedding.

"dev? do you mind calling the florist again? ky is busy helping kayc with the venue." sean asked as he carried boxes out of the rice household.

oh, he forgot to mention. they were moving in together, hours away, from both of their families.

over the next year, he watched as the couple went through the ups and downs of their relationship,

even the part where kaycee moved back into his parents home temporarily, after considering calling off the wedding,

but like the duo they are, they bounced back, and overcame things.

he figured it was time to admit, there was no use in hiding in it.

he cried like a baby during his little sister's wedding,

and during the reception,

and when they left for their honeymoon.

he cried alot that night, and he'll admit that.

"devon. you can't flip out. and we're happy so it'll be okay." kaycee reassured as she sat across from her brother, who held a little white stick in one hand, her husband's hand with the other.

"this is great you guys! congratulations!" devon exclaimed, genuinely happy for the couple, smiling as kaycee let out a breath of relief, smiling as she looked towards sean, who too had a look of gratefulness on his face.

"i better get an invite to the gender reveal." devon said softly, pulling the both of them into hugs.

finals and school is literally killing me. im trying though!

remember to always be kind, always be true, and always be authentically you!!
-shay<3