the essentials

the girl sat in her apartment, staring at the computer,

which only stared back.

"how can you help me?" she asked, staring more specifically at the dating site in front of her.

this was all kylie's fault, she wanted to move on from the prior man who ripped her heart in half,

and stomped on it,

and cut it with a chainsaw,

so her dear older sister recommended a dating website.

what a horrible idea,

she had no idea what she was doing, nor what to look for.

was there a box she could type keywords into?

did she press certain buttons or?

but being a helpful sister, kylie left her a text.

dearest sister of mine: just click through the guys, message who you like:)

so that's what she did, she sat on her couch, clicking through different guys.

none of them intrigued her, some caught her eye, only for her to lose interest at the descriptions of them.

"well kayc, maybe try putting down what's essential for you? maybe that'll draw them in." her sister said over the phone

so she did.

it led to where she sits today, one year later,

beside him in their favorite coffee shop as rain fell that thursday night.

"i'm glad we were able to get here before the rain got too bad, you know i always enjoy our coffee dates even if they're at midnight." he said, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"well, what can i say? it's one of the essentials." she teases, sipping from her mug as a smile crosses his face, and he presses a kiss to her temple.

"it's so late, we're going to have to drive home in this." he whispered, annoyed at the amounts of rain and traffic, but never at her

"midnight car rides! essential number two! let's do it!" kaycee exclaimed, scooting from the booth, forcing a smile upon his face.

as the couple drove down the dark road, singing along softly to the soft playing radio,

they sat in a comfortable silence, they didn't need to speak a word to know what the other was saying.

he was exhausted, working all day,

she was hyper, a night owl, wanting to do everything and anything,

but what they truly wanted to do is make the other happy,

so twice a week, they'd stay up all night, go for coffee, then drive home around midnight.

she enjoyed it immensely, and he enjoyed seeing her joyful.

then came the essential number three; tight, warm hugs, and neck kisses.

the two walked into their shared apartment, kaycee's mood dropping slightly at the thought of the day ending,

she'd fell in love with their coffee dates, he knew that,

but she knew that he was in love with their bed.

so, she had to be fair, and let him go to sleep, deciding not to keep him awake any longer.

he had put up with her all day, he deserved a break.

"do you want some tea?" she asked him softly, following him into their room as he changed into his pajamas slowly, doing his nightly routine silently, not speaking a word.

she took that as a no.

he was just simply so exhausted, when he walked over to press a kiss to her cheek, he pressed one to her neck, tickling her instantly as she let out light laughs, and he walked back towards their bed, plopping down.

that night as he slept soundly beside her, she logged back into the dating website, ignoring the hundreds of notifications on her feed, clicking on her profile.

she read over it, sighing lightly as she too felt exhaustion kick in.

kaycee rice, 22-

the essentials;
•coffee dates
•midnight drives
•neck kisses

other non- negotiables
• be kind
• be true
•be you

and watch friends w/ me @ 2 am:)

yall said yall wanted a soft oneshot instead of a spooky one, so there ya go!

it's october you guys! which means my birthday, kaycee's birthday, and halloween in that order! this month is so exciting and i honestly love it ( not just because it's my birth month)

but i hope you guys enjoyed this one, remember, be well, be true, be kind, be you.