002. heartache

The next day, I decided that it would be a good time to pack for the trip to Seattle. The reason Joane and I moved to New York was because I got accepted to NYU, and before that I was from Visions Academy. My sister's dream school was also conveniently located in New York. We're originally from Seattle. I guess a part of me wanted to move here because I wanted to get away from my parents. They mean well, but Mom was overbearing and Dad was quite the opposite, he was just too busy with work.

Anyways, Sebastian picked Josh and I up after school and we ended up getting something to eat at the mall. Josh and Sebastian never got along. Maybe it was because they both had this testosterone-filled rivalry for each other. Sebastian thought he was a player, and Josh thought he was too uptight. They just saw the worst in each other.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. It was Sebastian. "Hey, what's up?" I asked, quickly shoving my spare underwear that I was currently packing out of his view. "Listen, Kay, I know you don't want me to come along on this trip with you. Hell - I'm not even sure you want to go alone." He says. He almost made me think he was sad. "Pffft. What makes you think that?" I ask, crossing my eyes. Sebastian gives me a look. "Well, today you and Josh were talking about Seattle, and you totally said you wanted to go and take in 'the view' alone." I swallow a lump in my throat that had been building up for the entirety of this conversation.

I notice his eyes on my outfit. Quite underwhelming, really. I was wearing my typical pajamas, worn out and all too familiar. The thick frame of my glasses also rested heavily on the bridge of my nose. I anxiously watch home snap back to reality.

"I just...wanna say that. I mean well, Kay. I know you think I'm annoying but our family has known each other for a long time. And it's like - I have to protect you sometimes."

Oh, so he feels obligated to be an annoying older brother figure because of our family's history. Great.

Realizing the weird way he voiced his words, Sebastian scrambles to search for an alternative explanation.

"I mean - umm, like. Our family - you get it." He says, nervously chuckling. I nod out of pity, and turn my back to him, continuing to pack. I think this is the moment he realizes he messed up, and I hear an audible sigh. Suddenly, a bad feeling washes over me, making me feel pity for him. I mean, he was only trying to clear the air, right?

I turn around, and suddenly notice an almost unnoticeable small pout. He looked good, sometimes. But me being me, I would never tell him that. For a thirty-six year old, he had a good fashion sense. He's wearing a white polo, with some beige shorts. I liked his stye, simple but clean.

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

After a couple seconds of us staring at each other, eyes glazed over in thought, he finally clears his throat.

"Ummm, well. I'm heading back home. I guess I'll see you soon?"

I nod furiously, saying nothing more. He gives me a half smile that almost makes my heart flutter, before exiting my room. I freeze until I hear the front door close.

-

The day of the trip came by faster than I expected, or perhaps faster than I anticipated. I dreaded the day, really.
I watch Josh drag my suitcase to the trunk of Sebastian's black car. Joane looks at me like a proud sister, but I could tell she was far from it. Her own sister couldn't even go a couple states away alone to see their parents.

"I'm going to miss you." Joane sniffles, placing both of her hands on my shoulders.

"Relax, it'll only be a week." I say, grinning back.

She hugs me quickly, before pressing her lips onto Sebastian's cheek, making him swoon and Josh scowl. I ignore the conversation between the two, and make my way to Josh. He had been leaning against Sebastian's car, reading a comic book.

"Hey." I say. I now had Josh's full attention.

"Oh, hey."

Both of our eyes trail to my sister and Sebastian. I could feel the jealousy bubbling from Josh. He shakes his head slowly.

"I can't stand that guy." He grumbles, making me force out a pity laugh.

"I know." I say, simply. Without anything else to say, my heels do a 360 to walk inside the car but I feel someone grabbing my shoulder to spin me around.

"Not even a hug?" He asks, a toothy grin plastered right on his face. Oh, god. I could kiss him right now. I giggle as he wraps his long, warm arms around me. I could stay like this forever.

I probably would have, if it weren't for a certain person clearing his throat and catching our attention. "Ready to go?" Seb asks, I nod and sigh. Why did it feel like I was saying goodbye forever? Sebastian loaded his suitcase in the trunk and finally locked it. I watched him while I waited in the car. It took him about 2 minutes before he jogged over to the driver's door, waved at Josh and Joane, and ignited the car.

The silhouette of Josh haunted my vision as I looked in the mirror. Joane walked back inside, but he was still waving at the car. At me! I could feel my heart beating 10x faster. I could see his figure grow smaller, before finally the car turned to a different street.