003. stan with a plan

The car ride was not as tension-filled like I thought it would be, then again, it had only been 37 minutes. I kept count because I wanted to see how long it could get before things started to get awkward as always. To my surprise, it didn't.
I hooked his car's sound system to my Spotify and he hummed along to some of the songs.

"I don't wanna be your friend I wanna kiss your lips.
I wanna touch you but not like this." Sebastian sang quietly. I had been playing girl in red for a three songs now. He seemed to love i wanna be your girlfriend the most, so I repeated it and he quickly picked up on the lyrics.

He stopped singing the moment I snorted in reaction. "What?" He asked, a little offended and confused. I widened my eyes, flailing and shaking my hands. "No! No, no, no. I'm laughing because it's just...funny how you are singing these lyrics."

"And why is that?"

"Well," I stuttered, "it's ironic." I shrugged. Sebastian knew what I was implying. His mouth fell open and I noticed his stubble, his eyebrows were raised in amusement.

"You're such a kid, Kay."

I was so offended and flustered.

"Shut up! Age is relative. I'm not a kid, you're just old."

Sebastian scoffed, "Kid." He remarked. I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. Maybe I was a kid at times, but he was such an old man.

We didn't talk for a while after that, not because it was an uncomfortable encounter. I guess we just sat around in silence as he kept driving. I opened some more songs and he seemed to like the ones that were the most calm.

Our first stop was the gas station, and I bought a few sweets from the convenience store and went to the bathroom while Sebastian filled the gas. It took us maybe 15 minutes, and after that we were back on the road.

"Those things are so unhealthy." Sebastian said in disgust as I popped a couple of M&M's in my mouth. I was shocked, but then again, it was Sebastian. Boring, old adult Sebastian. I rolled my eyes playfully, "It's candy. Of course. Joane loves this stuff."

"Oh- really? Can I have some of those?" He replied, a bit surprised his perfect Joane would eat something like this.

"God, you are SO in love with her!" I tease, chucking at how flustered he was.

"N-no, I don't!" He stutters, rolling his eyes. I continue to laugh.

"What about you? You and your little crush on Josh." Sebastian smiles at what he said, satisfied with my reaction.

"Shut up!" I reply, oh, how the tables have turned. Eventually after a moment his laughter dies down.

"They're going to get together, you know?" He says. I couldn't read his expression, it was just blank like he was in a deep thought.

"Yeah. He really likes her." I mutter sadly, "Since we were kids."

"But," he pauses, "I don't think they are good for each other." My mouth makes an 'O' shape in response.

"What do you mean?" I say, how could he say that about each other? Why was he so jealous all the time? But I couldn't judge, I was in love with Josh as just as much as he was in love with my sister.

"Think about it- they always say they're similar, but they're actually too similar. I don't know, I just don't think they would be good together. And..." he trails off, looking a bit guilty.

"To be honest, I wouldn't like them together. I mean - you know how I feel about Josh."

I nod, thinking about it. Josh clearly likes my sister, and Joane likes him too, maybe. We weren't so sure.

"So..." He says.

"So...?" I repeat.

"How about I help you get Josh and you help me with your sister."

I couldn't believe he said that! Wow, he was really hell-bent on getting my sister. I had to do a double take, because I was surprised at his straightforward approach to this conversation.

"What?" I ask, genuinely confused.

"Let's...break them up — if they do get together?" He repeated, cringing and bracing himself for the reaction he was most definitely going to get.

"What?!" I say again, only a bit more shocked and angry. "Seriously, Sebastian?" He shrugs, "Your call." I stop to think for a moment. Does Joane really deserve either of them? As much as I loved my sister, I'd hate to see the two of them together. I don't know what made me do it, but there was always a little feeling, maybe it was guilt. It almost stopped me from making my mistake, but it didn't.

"Fine." I say, smirking to myself. Sebastian nods and focuses of the road, but I can't help but notice the corners of his mouth turning up.