010. the ball

The Ball was going quite well. Everyone was having a good time, I was havinga good time, Mom and Dad weren't suspicious, and Sebastian had managed to avoid me. I say that as a good thing because I was still mad at him for telling Lisa we were together. Yes, everyone was going to know, but I wanted Joane to know first. If she wasn't the first to know, things were not going to be good in the future for the three of us.

"Hey, sweetie! Are you enjoying this? Oh, I'm glad Sebastian came along with you to the mall, otherwise you probably would have picked some jeans or something." My mom jokes, although I knew she meant it.

"Yeah, Yeah everything's cool. But why are there so many chicks here?" I ask. There were so many girls my age. More than a third of them were probably way prettier than me, too.

"Oh right. I forgot tell you." My mom deadpans. I squint at her, "Tell me what?" I ask nervously.

"This is a debutante ball! Surprise!" She beams, waving her hands in the air. I stare at her, dumbfounded.

"What." I say, this time in a warning tone. My mom chuckles nervously. "And I asked Sebastian to be your escort."

My eyes expand twice their size.

"Mom! What the hell?"

"What?" My mom protests, as if she hasn't done anything wrong. "I can't help it. You two look so good together!" I sigh, if only she knew. "And where is he now?"

She shrugs, "Haven't seen him all night. I figured he was with you." I raise my brows in surprise, "Mom, I haven't seen him since I got here." Mom furrows her brows and we look at each other.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Go find him!" She shoves me, and I almost trip over in my gown. My mom could be super strong at times. I mutter a small 'jeez' and straighten out my dress. Great, I have to find Sebastian now. My night is officially ruined.

-

After an hour of looking, I finally gave up. A lot of guys had tried to get my attention tonight, but in all honesty I wasn't interested at all. I had to endure this stupid event in the first place. Then, I find out that Sebastian was my date. And third, he isn't even here!

"Hello."

I turn around, startled. A handsome face smiles at me, though I wasn't sure if it was genuine or not.

"Hi." I shyly reply. He reaches out his hand, I do the same, thinking we were going for a handshake. But he leans in an kisses my hand.

"I'm Harris." He says, his green eyes looking straight into mine. I give him a small smile. "I'm Katherine."

Harris was insanely gorgeous, and had a great sense of style to me. But to be frank, I'm sure I only liked him because it was the first time any boy had too interest in me.

"Do you have an escort to this ball?"

I did, but Sebastian wasn't even here. There would be no harm in one little lie, right?

"N-"

"Yes, actually." A familiar voice I so dreaded to hear answered for me. I died internally. A protective, strong hand snakes around my waist and I am yanked into Sebastian's arms.

"I'm Sebastian."

Harris looks a little taken aback. He probably didn't expect Sebastian to be so much older than me. "Hi, babe." He coos, planting a kiss on my cheek. I am suddenly flustered. "H-Hi, Seb." I reply nervously.

"Oh, How're you doing, man?" Harris asks, reaching his hand out for a handshake. Sebastian simply stares at his hand and then he turns to me.

"This party is so lame. Do you want to go somewhere else?" He asks me. I nod almost immediately, only because I wanted out of this suffocating event. Just for that reason, though.

"Great." He smirks at me. Sebastian intertwines his fingers with mine and he drags me to the door.

"Bye, Harris!" I call out.

Sebastian opens the doors to lead me to an open balcony. Once we're out of eye and earshot, I hit him hard on the arm.

"Why were you so mean?!" I scold. He grimaces, "Ow! Stop! I didn't like him, that's all."

Sebastian scurries away from me to the other side of the small balcony. He plays with a vine on the wall.

"You didn't like him?" I scoff, "God, you are so immature."

He gives me a look and turns away. "I'm not immature. You're just way too mature for your age." He mumbles softly, but it was just loud enough for me to hear. My eyebrows raise in surprise, "What'd you say?" I ask, a small smirk playing on my lips.

Sebastian shakes his head, "Nevermind." He says, a little louder this time. I pretend not to hear what he said.

"Okay. Nevermind."