019. the ever contrasting personalities of a blonde and a brunette

Chris was not at all what I expected him to be like. I expected him to be serious, awkward, and most importantly, brunette. He towered over me, and he wasn't hard to spot. The goofy smile plastered on his face was very cute to look at. Seb and I had just gotten to the restaurant, and Chris waved us over. "Hey! I'm Chris." He says, his blue eyes staring straight into mine. I smile widely and shake his hand. "I'm Katherine, but you can call me Kay." I reply, he nods. "She's my girlfriend." Sebastian adds as if Chris didn't know already.

"Yeah. His girlfriend." I echo. I never would have expected these two to be friends, if I was being honest. We settle at a small table away from the other patrons. I squeeze into a booth with Sebastian, but the velvet lining on the seat made it comfortable anyways. Chris sat in front of us, exactly right between us.

"This place is honestly the best! I usually come here to eat like almost every week." Chris gushes as Sebastian rests his head on his hand and listens intently. They had very different personalities, but I wasn't so sure yet. After all, it had only been a few minutes since I met Chris. "What about you, Kay?" Chris asks. I realize that I wasn't listening.

"Uhhh, yes." I say, not really sure what I was saying yes to. "You like pineapples on pizza?" Chris asks, a disgusted look forming on his face. Sebastian looks on with an approving smile. "What? No! I meant..no." I correct myself, shuddering at the horrible idea. Sebastian's smile falls and Chris's frown turns upside down.

"Now that's what I'm talking about."

I notice a lot of things about people, especially their smile.  A smile says a lot about a person, especially if their smile hides things. But Chris was so transparent I was anxious if he was actually holding a secret or not. I wasn't sure if I could trust him. He seemed...sweet, and he was the type of guy Joane might fall in love with. The type of guy that knew your favorite flower without having to tell him, the type of guy that endured chick flicks and actually enjoyed them, the type of guy that knew what was wrong by your vaguely obscure texts. Chris was the dream guy, the male version of the manic pixie dream girl.

But he wasn't my type.

As much as I hated to admit it, Josh really was my dream guy. He was nice and smart, and understanding, and his music taste wasn't shit. I had decided the things I liked in a guy.  I liked guys that had good hygiene, basketball shorts, brunettes, i also liked tattoos. Sure, it doesn't sound like Josh, but for some reason I loved him anyways.

Chris stabs his steak with a fork and saws it into half. Sebastian cuts his porkchop piece by piece. I look at my salad, should I have really ordered this? It's not like I had anything against salad, it was good. I decide to order the same steak Chris was having.

"So Kelly was telling me she was majoring in English and ..." I stop listening to Chris and Seb's conversation and look out the window. It was getting pretty dark, I focused on what was happening on my street. A couple was fighting on the left, and there was a homeless man sitting peacefully with his dog. I made a mental note to give him a couple of dollars before we left this area, because I felt bad. When I tried to listen back in on the conversation, I found Seb staring at me while Chris was still rambling on about something I couldn't care less about.

"What?" I mouth at him, he shakes his head, smiles softly, and turns to Chris.

Sebastian was a listener, and I liked that, he wasn't loud. He only spoke when asked to, and he was really funny at times. Chris was the opposite, he was always funny, and he would probably be the center of attention. I didn't like that, I don't want to be with popular guys. There is a lot to not trust about them, although Chris seems particularly good.

After finishing our food, we split the check and headed outside for a nice evening walk in the city, maybe go to a bar even.

I was squeezed in the middle of Chris and Sebastian. Chris smelled like nature and pine trees, Sebastian smelled like leather and laundry detergent. And somehow, that certain scent made me feel at home.

"Katherine? Are you listening?" Chris asked, a small giggle laced between the words. I snap out of my gaze and nod, "Yep."

"And you can just call me Kay." I laugh lightly, Chris puts a hand under his chin and pretends to scratch it.

"Can I call you Kat?"

"What? No."

"Please?"

"No!"

"Pretty please?"

"Chris, there's no way I'm going to let you call me K-"

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

"...Fine."