1 - Purple and Orange

Evan's Point of View

For as long as he could remember, Evan had two flowers on his wrist. A purple balloon flower and an orange zinnia. He knew his extreme interest in plants would pay off, albeit in a pretty useless way. He had always wondered what his flower was. Was it blue, his favorite color? Or maybe it was something representative of his personality.

Either way, Evan had always been curious about having two soulmates. He knew that the flower on his dad's wrist had changed as his mother's wilted and died, but he had never seen two flowers at once.

Jared never told him what his flower was. Evan wondered if it was one of Jared's "real" friends that he never seemed to hang out with. Ever.

***

"Okay, well what about... Murphy?" Jared suggested. They were trying to figure out who Evan's soulmates were, specifically the orange one, since it looked like it was about to bloom.

"Zoe... Murphy?" Evan asked. He sort of had a crush on her, but it didn't go too much deeper than looks. It wasn't like he had talked to her enough to know if she was even a nice person. She only had one soulmate, and it was a blue flower. The color suited her pale skin.

But he assumed his soulmate would also be soulmates with his other soulmate, so Zoe wasn't one of them.

"Obviously."

"She has one soulmate. And that blue color is really cold, do you think that really fits my personality?"

Jared raised an eyebrow. "Who ever said flowers have anything to do with your personality?"

"Oh, well I just figured. Sorry."

" 'S fine."

Evan's trained his gaze on his left arm. He had broken it towards the end of the summer after falling from a tree. "Hey, do you maybe, I'm sorry, do you want to sign my cast?"

Jared laughed. "Why would I do that?"

"Well, it's just... we're friends, so I thought maybe...."

"Family friends, Evan. Whole different level, I've told you that a million times."

"Why do we have to be... I mean we've been best friends since we were kids and... and you don't even have any other friends." Jared's mouth hung open for a moment. "Sorry."

"I mean...." Jared looked around the lunchroom. Nobody was eavesdropping or anything. "Alright, fine. I'm upgrading you to my friend."

"Wait, r-really?" Evan asked, confused.

"Just agree before I change my mind."

"Will you sign my cast?"

"Not in a million years." Both of them laughed, and Evan extended his right hand, the unbroken one.

"It's a deal." Jared's long sleeve went up a bit. Evan glanced at the flower on his wrist. "Yellow," Evan breathed. It was a buttercup, one of Evan's personal favorites, as it was just so bright and happy, and he needed happiness in his life.

"Oh, right. That." Jared pulled his sleeve down, but before he could, Evan caught a glance of another flower. A purple balloon flower.

The orange flower on Evan's wrist got a little closer to blooming that day.

Okay fun shit