9 - The Death Of A Flower

"What kind of gay freaks are you? Fuck you, Kleinman! And Hansen? You're sick for even coming up with this joke. Have fun screwing each other." Just like that, Connor walked off. Jared and Evan just watched him, speechless.

Connor walked across the road, his head down.

Then the car came.

"Connor!" Both of them panicked, understandably. Evan snuck a glance at his wrist. The purple flower had bloomed all the way.

***

Jared and Evan didn't notice the worst part of the situation until they were in the hospital room with Connor two days later. Evan was holding Connor's unconscious hand while Jared talked. Evan stared down at his hand, not listening.

Then he glanced at his wrist, to the purple flower that had given him hope. It had bloomed . But it also looked like it was dying. Which meant that Connor was....

"J-Jared," Evan said. Jared stopped talking. "L-look at the flowers."

"Evan, why–"

"Just look at them!" Evan urged. Jared shrugged and looked at his wrist.

"No... what?"

"Jared, Connor is... he's...." Jared put a hand on Evan's shoulder.

"Don't think like that. Nobody knows how this stuff works, maybe it's just because there's a chance of it happening, the flowers are preparing for the worst."

"A chance?" Evan repeated, almost shouting.

"I don't know Evan, but we can't just hide from reality!" Jared raised his voice.

"This doesn't feel real, this feels like some sick, twisted... nightmare," Evan said.

Jared sighed and nodded. "But it isn't. And bad things happen to the people like you who deserve better."

"But this is scary," Evan said in a small voice, bringing his knees close to his chest.

Jared sighed. "I know," he said. "I know, and there's nothing we can do about it except... hope for the best."

"But that's hard," Evan said. Apparently, there was just no winning for Jared.

"Damn, why do you have to be so cute?" Jared asked.

"Jared. Not funny." Evan smiled, though. Jared was satisfied with that.

Unlike some people amiright

This is sad

There's gonna be a lot of sad chapters coming up

~ DJ