6 - Feeling Blue

Connor's Point of View

Evan was lying when he said he'd stay away from Connor. He went to his house the next day. Connor's mother was just glad he had gotten a friend who wasn't a drug dealer.

Connor pulled Evan upstairs as quickly as he could, though. If he ran into Zoe or Larry, Evan would probably die of anxiety.

"What are those?" Evan asked in Connor's room looking at a bookshelf.

"My sketchbooks. I'm not that good, but I guess you can see them," Connor said. Evan pulled out the most recent one, with a dark blue cover. All the pencil lines were in blue, aside from the occasional times he drew his soulmate flowers in yellow and orange.

"You like blue?" Evan asked.

"I did, last year. I haven't actually drawn anything much since then." It wasn't true, he had his latest sketchbook in his backpack, but he didn't want Evan seeing any of it.

"These are really goo – is that me?" Okay, Connor had seen Evan before. He looked interesting to draw, with his anxious demeanor. Besides, he wore a different blue shirt every day. It was hard not to question it.

"Y-yeah. I just thought you'd be a good subject, so one day before school I just... drew you."

"It's a good drawing."

"Thanks."

There was silence aside from Evan's flipping through pages.

"Connor, Zoe!" His mother called from downstairs. "Dinner is ready!"

"Come on," Connor said, his facial expression souring. "My dad better not bother you," he muttered.

They walked downstairs, Zoe giving Evan a weird look and Connor giving Zoe his middle finger. "So, Connor, are you and Evan soulmates?" Cynthia asked once everyone was seated. Evan gave Connor a nervous glance.

"No, we're just friends," Connor said, his voice slightly more monotone. "Am I not allowed to have friends or something?"

He immediately regretted it. His mother looked hurt, and both Larry and Zoe gave him a glare.

"That's wonderful," Cynthia said. Evan and Connor left not long after.

"S-so your dad... what's his deal?" Evan asked once they were safely in Connor's room. Larry hadn't talked the entire time.

"He just doesn't like me much. Thinks I'm some burden on his life." Evan bit his lip.

"I get it." Connor took a moment to process what he had just heard.

"Who could hate you? You're adorable." Evan didn't notice, or at least he didn't say anything.

"M-my dad, he um left. Wh-when I was six." (I can't remember if it was six or seven but whatever)

"Well he's an asshole and that was the biggest mistake of his life. Besides, it wasn't your fault."

Evan sighed. "Yeah... it was."

"What do you mean?" Connor asked warily. Evan looked anxious. "If you don't want to tell me, that's alright. I know we just met and all."

"Yeah. Thanks, Connor. My mom wants me back soon, so... I should probably go."

Connor gave him a strained smile. "I'll text you later, alright? See you at school."

"See you there." Evan's phone rang. "Jared, I can't talk right now, okay? Yeah, I'll see you at school. Bye, Jared."

Connor didn't know how people usually interacted, but that was definitely a red flag.

Yayyy more depressing shit because big fat mood

'More depressing shit' ... that describes my life

~ Bleh I should just stop signing off when I don't even know what my fucking name is