23 - You Were Not The Monster

Zoe didn't say a word. Which was awkward, considering the fact that she was the only one in Connor's hospital room. Jared and Evan were at school. Cynthia had allowed Zoe to skip on the grounds that she visited Connor.

"Zoe, can we...talk?" Connor asked. His words shattered the silence.

Zoe sighed and continued to stare at her phone. "What is there to talk about, Con?" Connor's heart shattered at her use of the old nickname. The days as kids when they would hang out. No anger, no sadness, no fear. Just Connor and Zoe.

But it wasn't like that anymore. Now Connor was depressed. Zoe was moving on.

"You know."

"Maybe I do, I just don't see why it matters so much to you that I can move on while you're stuck in the past!"

Connor sighed. "I just want things to be the way they used to be, Zo," he replied, keeping an even tone.

"That's not possible."

"Of course it is!" Connor shouted. He took a deep breath.

"Is it?" Zoe asked. Connor opened his mouth to speak, but words didn't find their way out. His mother had always told him that he found a way to make everything life threatening.

"It's like you don't even care. We were so fucking close, and you're just gonna throw that away?" Zoe shrugged in response. "Answer me, bitch!" The heart rate monitor beeped rapidly.

"Connor, calm down," Zoe told him, putting her phone down. "It's no big deal."

"No big deal? I just want my fucking sister back!" Connor shouted.

"Yeah," Zoe muttered, standing up. "And I want my brother back."

When the door closed behind her, Connor was sure he could feel his heart shatter. He put his head in his hands. And Connor sobbed. He sobbed the way he had when he was a kid, when he would trip on the sidewalk and cry in his mother's arms. But this time he didn't have his mother. He didn't have anyone. No shoulder to cry on, no arms to hold him.

The only sounds he could hear were that of his own crying and the various sounds of the hospital, all distant to him.

But there was no denying the simple, hard to swallow, truth. He loved them. He loved his parents, his sister, and most of all he loved both Jared and Evan. And he planned to tell them, only able to hope that they reciprocated that love.

:')

~ DJ