Questions and Answers

I just completed the last bit of work I was doing for the Captain when the doors to my lab slid open. I didn't dare chance a glance or I would lose my concentration on getting the last drop in correctly. I had to be careful, too much pressure and I would put in far too much Nitrogen Oxide into my potassium nitrate. I wanted to see what would happen and made sure to have not only a blast screen but a ventilation box around it. I did not want any toxic gasses flowing in my lab.

Once that was done I jotted down what had occured and possible uses, finally turning my chair to face the intruder of my laboratory. "Ah, Mr. Spock. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company in my humble abode of a laboratory?" I had spoken to him a few months prior about answering some questions he had. If I were to guess he had gotten quite busy in the meantime. I had also been trying to give my speech a little bit of life. McCoy thought it might help me gain something back, things that I wasn't certain I wanted.

Spock seemed to look around the small room. Specimen jars lining the walls, plants hanging from the ceiling, vials of different medical substances in a case. There was also a bookshelf lined with Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy, and Engineering textbooks. This was my space, my room had books on tables, chairs, counters, as well as a few non-medical plants. "I simply came to see if you were free or had a few moments to speak with me today."

I leaned forward on my desk, hands folded before I motioned him to a chair. James and McCoy used it quite often, so I'd gotten in the habit of leaving an extra chair out for guests. "I was just finishing up some notes on this case study, but I can spare a few moments to answer any questions you might like to ask. As I have come to understand, you seem to have shown an interest in either myself or my work."

He took the seat slowly, his eyes still wandering around the small laboratory. "I have a slight curiosity, I will admit, as to why you seem to not have any emotions. The Captain has informed me that you are completely human, that you were not raised like a Vulcan, and that there was something in your past that made you this way. I would simply like to know what it was." My breaths paused for a second.

Did he even realize what he was asking of me? Information on an incident that happened over fifteen years ago. "You're asking about the event that happened to me fifteen years ago. Let's see, Kirk is thirty-two now if memory serves so he was... about seventeen or eighteen at the time. I was closer to five years old. Living with my parents on earth, both of them were alive. Even at the age of five my parents noticed my interests in science. At the time it was biology, alien biology to be precise, and we were on our way to a lecture. That day, about half way through the lecture, was when everything changed. A few Klingon spies had broken past security checkpoints and made it into the lecture hall.

'Everyone get down! Now! We come from the empire and are here to demand new soldiers. It matters not how old, man or woman, just know that you will all be coming with us back to our ship.' I watched as these men spread out, ordering people at gunpoint to get into certain vehicles. Man, woman and child separated by ages. My mother was trying to get me to hide under the seats before they noticed me, but I didn't want to be left alone, so I clung to her leg.

That was when one of them noticed me. "qaH puq wIghaj boqta' qu'mo. 'oH 'e' tlhIngan teH laH pep SoS wa' 'e' vIHar." I stared as three of them walked over to us. My father held my mother, my mother squished me between the two of them. "Ma'am no harm will come to you or your husband if you just hand over the kid."

My father pulled us closer pushing my mother behind him. "I will not be handing my child over to you and your people Klingon. You will have them over my dead body." The men smiled. Taking out their weapons and aiming at us. I watched my mother's eyes widen in terror, I was crying. I hardly understood what was going on. What I did know, was that these were very bad people. My arms tightened around my mother's neck, I didn't want to be pulled away from her.