Big Problems

We were on our way in for some R&R on Starbase 6 when I was called to the bridge. I was about to leave my lab, when I felt some sort of pain. Clutching at my chest I fell to my knees. The bulk head seeming to swirl around me. Coughing, there was a wet feeling passing my lips and the slight taste of Iron and Copper.

It felt like something... no hundreds of somethings just... died. I tried to press the button on my wall, but my fingers ran just short as I collapsed in a heap. Darkness flooding my senses before I could understand what was even happening to me. The next thing I did know on the other hand was someone tapping my face.

When I opened my eyes, McCoy was leaning over me. Spock on my other side. "(Y/n), are you alright?" I gave a shaky nod, letting the men help me into a sitting position. "What happened?" To that... I really had no answer.

Instead taking a moment to formulate a response. "I... I'm not sure. I was on my way to the bridge when I felt some kind of pain. Then I got the sense that... hundreds of somethings just died. I cannot explain it."

McCoy and Spock glance to one another. Taking out his tricorder, McCoy scanned me. "I thought something like this might have happened. While you have shown no outward signs of the vulcan mind, something of this severity would have hit you, in a word, like a ton of bricks. Feeling such a reaction for the first time must have been overwhelming."

Shaking his head, McCoy turned to Spock. "There you go again with that nonsense. Don't go filling her mind with such impossibilities Mr. Spock." I stared at Spock on the other hand. I knew, somehow, that he was right. It explained the feeling that came over me. I wouldn't be able to explain it otherwise.

Not that it mattered. "I see. I feel fine now, McCoy. You can stop scanning me with-" Coughing again more of that metallic Iron and Copper filled my taste buds. McCoy looked less convinced about that, turning instead back to his tricorder.

My brow furrowed. "Mr. Spock... I think it would be best if you headed up to the bridge. I... have some things to discuss with (Y/n) concerning a few private matters." Sharing a glance with Spock, I watched him stand and leave. Once the door closed McCoy turned to me. "(Y/n), your lungs are filling up with blood. If we don't take care of it soon, you could die."

This was actually something I had been worried about. "If I had to surmise, Doctor, it is possibly a side effect from using all of that synthetic blood. I had my suspicions that it would happen and had been taking steps to prevent it. I just figured it would be a matter of when, not if. After all, it was experimental. Never intended to be used in mass quantities."

Nodding McCoy took an arm, and pulled me to my feet. "I see. So how do we fix that then?" That was an answer I didn't have for him. "(Y/n), you do have some idea right?"

I shook my head. "Unfortunately, I do not. I lack the relevant data to give you that answer. Aside from perhaps filtering out some of the old synthetic blood and letting my own cells gradually replace the missing ones. To do so, on the other hand would take months given the volume of synthetic blood that was used. Yet, as my body continually tries to replace the lost fluid, it will eventually push the good cells out."

McCoy rubbed his neck a bit. "Alright, we can try it... but after we solve the current issue. Get you drained first, then we can talk about what to do after." That was a statement that I could agree with. With his assistance, we made our way to Sickbay and he set me up on a table. It didn't take long for McCoy to do what he needed, but before we could do anything else, Kirk called me to the bridge.

Of course, McCoy wanted to argue, but Kirk needed me up there. So without any further arguments I went to the closest lift and headed to the Bridge. Just as the doors opened some kind of high-pitched noise emitted from everywhere. It hurt my ears a bit from the pitch but I was otherwise unaffected.